systemd boot password prompt for mounting LUKS

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

systemd boot password prompt for mounting LUKS

Postby mkauzlar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 14:37

I have the home partition encrypted.
When I boot without graphical boot then at the moment when the prompt appears the whole screen image is garbled. I can still blindly enter the password and it boots fine.
When booting in console mode, due to the concurrent nature of a systemd boot, the password prompt is often inter-mangled with other boot messages. I try to enter it several times but often the boot or prompt overrides with other stuff. After a while I'm able to somehow enter it successfully.
I suppose the system should offer a steady prompt for password and get the password input from it.
The overall boot process is now very slow as it takes me 5 min to be able to login to home.
This is Sabayon 13.08
mkauzlar
Young Hen

Re: systemd boot password prompt for mounting LUKS

Postby deadDrift » Fri Dec 13, 2013 23:49

I'm having a similar behavior when booting to the kdm login screen. During the boot messages, the prompt to enter the passphrase displays but the boot messages keep going. I just start entering the passphrase, ignoring any more boot messages, and when I hit enter at the end of the passphrase. It displays the 'health report' on the encrypted partition (/home) and finishes booting to the login screen like before. My boot times are no longer than before the change to systemd.

I'm on a dual boot system with Win7 and up to date SL on the weekly repository.
Be in perfect sync with the raging river and one will catch its prey
deadDrift
Young Hen

Re: systemd boot password prompt for mounting LUKS

Postby tomekwalowski » Wed Jan 22, 2014 23:10

My problem is simmlar too. When Sabayon booting i see login screen - but when I type password - nothing happen.
Few times i try to this. I found small solution. When I see login screen and press alt+ins - then I see this same but in console mode - when I type password - everything go well. I found in log files something like that:

FAILED] Failed to start Cryptography Setup for luks-d8f077b2-d8c1-46f2-8e78-6305d259e1ab.
See 'systemctl status [email protected]\x2dd8f077b2\x2dd8c1\x2d46f2\x2d8e78\x2d6305d259e1ab.service' for details.

Any solution?
tomekwalowski
Simple Hen

Return to Software in General