updating my Lappy now causes problems?

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

updating my Lappy now causes problems?

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:00

Ok, I first had this issue just about the time that 13.08 just came out.

I had been using 13.04 absolutely fine and then all of a sudden, after some updates, it stopped starting up.

I had a few mess abouts to sort it, however since my accident, I find it very difficult to concentrate anymore and so I thought sod it, 13.08 is there, I will simply grab that and see.

Well, it installs just fine and, as long as I dont let it update much, its ok.

But I try letting it update all of it, it goes iffy.

I have tried to pin-point the exact cause, but as I said, Im not able to anymore.

The setup I am using is my HP 6730 Laptop. I have it running 8GB RAM, a 60GBSSD as root and a 500GB WDBlue for /home instead of the DVDRW and I install via Verbatim 8GB Flashdrive thats put there with USB installer from pendrivelinux.com

I am currently running MiNT 14 again, but please help me get off it.

Thanks.
You know you have too much PCs when you end up Building your 3 kids a PC each, and use up bits that just happen to be "Lying about doing nothing", and the slowest one you know up, is still an I7 with 16GB and SSDs to boot from!

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Re: updating my Lappy now causes problems?

Postby B3rtm3n » Mon Sep 23, 2013 18:27

How did you update, using terminal or the update manager?

if you boot do you end up with a black screen and a cursor?
B3rtm3n
Growing Hen

Re: updating my Lappy now causes problems?

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 23:38

Oh hell, sorry for not replying. No excuses, just been side-tracked soing A then B then ... Well, you know how it is!

Ok, well, in simple terms, I have used RIGO. I can install my apps just fine ( apart from the awful fact that it the slowest thing I have seen since Cassettes on the old 8-Bits ) but when I let it actually do the updates, it does them all but then wont restart properly after that.

I have tried a number of ways to kind of narow it down, but nothing seems to be a single cause, but in fairness it updates so much files, and takes so long to do it, I have almost definitely missed it, or simply suffered from numb brain when it did happen. only

So no, using the terminal? How? I have only ever used rigo on this... Debians apt-get we are on teh right page, but sabayon no... I have been 100% happy with sabayon right up until they gave us gnome 3 and that stupid unity junk, but thankfully mate helped me out there, but I have kind of moved back to KDE since its stopped doing that crappy context menu on the icons

Where does it crash?

Well, to be fait, its not actually a crash, but a failure to start up into X

I forget the garb I got now, and right now I am using MiNT 14 so its flawless, and irritatingly, I bought myself a new Laptop last week just to give myself a seriously powerful linux Laptop ( HP DV6 i7 CPU, added SSD for root and the 500GB for /home and I cannot get ANY linux onto that at all so its still this HP 6370 again.

AnywY, IF YO UGET TO READ THIS AGAIN,BUGGER CAPS???

Ok, if you get to read this again, then please get back to me.

Thanks.
You know you have too much PCs when you end up Building your 3 kids a PC each, and use up bits that just happen to be "Lying about doing nothing", and the slowest one you know up, is still an I7 with 16GB and SSDs to boot from!

Spoilt gits
FatRakoon
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General