what's in your opinion "the best browser" for sabayon

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

what's in your opinion "the best browser" for sabayon

Postby gebo1410 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 19:36

Hi
for me the problem is firefox. Mostly the films (n-tv, other sides)are working, but very poor. Black and white, or flash player plugin is not running after a while, etc. etc. Firefox is very good in extensions, but very poor in .flv
On the other hand Chromium is working perfect in sabayon, but it's very poor in extensions (No Image Host grabber, very poor .flv download. Opera is working pretty good, but In Opera I cant' save films from the Cache and flv extension is not working good.
Does anyone know a browser, which is working perfect??

Thks

Artur
gebo1410
Baby Hen

Re: what's in your opinion "the best browser" for sabayon

Postby albfneto » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:18

mainly i use firefox, but i also use Opera and SeaMonkey, i dont enjoy chromium so much.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby MALsPa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:07

For me, it's Chromium. But I don't use many extensions, so that part isn't a factor here.
MALsPa
Young Hen

Postby sihox » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:49

I'm using chromium at work and at home and for me it works perfectly :)
I am not a huge fan of extensions - just gmail checker and adblock - so for me it's cool.
Sometimes I miss the pdf plugin which doesn't run on linux - but it's not some huge problem (evince works like a charm ;)

Why chromium - in my opinion it's much faster than firefox, and using one field (omnibox?) for search or page address is just a pleasure :)

Cheers!
sihox
Young Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:33

Hallo...
I'm using Chromium. I won't install another big browser beside.
Due to Firefox problems some time ago, I've changed.
What I miss is DownThemAll, which is in Firefox, but not in Chromium.
I use few addons only.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby albfneto » Thu Jul 11, 2013 15:27

I remember today.
For the Firefox, they are two add-ons that are "improvers" for Video and Audio, they are called : WildFox for Audio and WildFox for Video
You may try.
You also may install maney codecs asn players, ant then use the add-on for Firefox,called Media Connectivity add. It searchs in you local system and find the best codecs and players for each kind of media or extension.
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby gebo1410 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43

Thank you albfneto,

I tried the Firefox extensions and it's a real good improvement
gebo1410
Baby Hen

Postby gabvil » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:33

Hi all,

I keep with old but memory responsive Firefox, everytime i try with Chromium have to switch back to Firefox because of RAM. Firefox could handle very well a large amount of open tabs. Chromium will eat you if you have 15 or more tabs open.
My main task at work have multiple programs opened and Virtual machines. So resources are needed.

PS: already tried with "Great Suspender" addon, works pretty well, but when reload older tabs gets unconfortable.

Regards,
·Intel [email protected]/2Gb Ram/160Gb/82945GZ/Sabayon Mate 13.07 x64 @work X2
·Intel [email protected]/2Gb Ram/250Gb/x3100 GM965/Sabayon Mate 13.07 x64 @lappy
·Intel [email protected]/2Gb Ram/800 Gb/Zotac 8400GS-512Mb-HDMI/Sabayon Mate 13.07 x64 @HTPC
gabvil
Growing Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 14:14

I use only Firefox for secure stuff, for regular browsing I found Konqueror is very good, I set my options to ask for cookies to be eccepted, so I can reject them all.
I don't like shifting from one browser to another becuase I have to mess around with bookmarks, etc.

What I don't understand is why movie contents don't have the correct colours, so in Youtybe, BBC Iplayer people's flesh is BLUE. And that has been like this for ages. And it doesn't matter what browser.
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby denijane » Mon Jul 22, 2013 16:17

I use mostly Mozilla. It is the most stable for me and it lacks the Google all-seeing eye of Chromium. Chromium also has a problem for me, it takes awfully lot of CPU (and I have only 2 cores). But from the other hand, Chromium is best for streaming. Opera is also quite good, but I don't like its password-managing tools (or their lack). Mozilla has the minus of getting very heavy (>1Gb after a day of work on it).
denijane
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Software in General