Alternatives To Word Processors?

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Alternatives To Word Processors?

Postby d72 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 15:57

I'm hoping somebody will be able to recommend some software for me...

I need to create documents for work sometimes, what most people would expect to be "Word Documents" however, I really don't like MS/Libre Office and the concept of word processors, I dislike the whole dragging over text with the mouse and clicking things, I also find that software like that usually messes things up easily, you change one thing, it messes up another, too little control, I'd prefer to just write it with something like HTML in vim.

My thought for a long time has always been "I wish I could just write this stuff in HTML".

I've recently looked at LaTeX but found it to be really complicated and I couldn't get things like coloured backgrounds around text to work properly, I probably needed some extra packages but installing any more through entropy seemed to want to pull in a LOT of dependencies. In conclusion, LaTeX seems to be too much for what I need, I don't need mathematical stuff for example.

I'd also like to be able to convert to .odt/.doc if needed as unfortunately I sometimes need to send things to colleagues in that format. It also needs to be able to be converted to .pdf as that's how things are sent to customers. LaTeX seems to handle PDF perfectly for my needs, however .odt/.doc doesn't seem available, I've read about a couple of options for converting but those want to install a lot of dependencies too so I'm reluctant to try.

Perhaps there's some kind of HTML framework for creating word processor style documents?

Any suggestions at all or are the only options Libre Office or LaTeX?
d72
Baby Hen

Re: Alternatives To Word Processors?

Postby sabayonino » Wed Jul 03, 2013 20:11

Perhaps there's some kind of HTML framework for creating word processor style documents ?

i can sugegst bluefish for html documents

Code: Select all
app-editors/bluefish
     Available versions:  2.2.2^t ~2.2.3^t {{nls python spell}}
     Homepage:            http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
     Description:         A GTK HTML editor for the experienced web designer or programmer.
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby d72 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 21:30

I don't need an editor for HTML, I already have VIM. I had a look at Bluefish but it seems to be a WYSIWYG editor for HTML, WYSIWYG is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, I don't like them, I'd rather use a markup language.

What I'm looking for is a way to use some kind of markup language to write say a letter, a report, a CV, something like that without using Libre Office but preferably still be able to be opened in Libre Office for people that might need to edit my files.

I know HTML, the point was, I want an equivalent for writing business documents, or some kind of HTML framework to do it with, that would be preferable since I already know HTML. I've had a look at LaTeX but it seems overly complicated and does a lot more than I need it to.

I've used things like CSS Grids, HTML5 Bootstrap and things for websites, is there an equivalent for writing a letter or a report?

I suppose the Software sub-forum isn't really the right place for this question, it just seemed to be the best one available since I wouldn't really class it as programming/development, I already know that I want to use VIM, it's just which method do I use? If it involves using some kind of GUI editor, I might as well just use Libre Office.
d72
Baby Hen

Postby sez » Wed Jul 03, 2013 22:45

I recommend Markdown. It's very easy to learn, you can write to your heart's content in Vim, and, using Pandoc (which on Sabayon has to be emerged), you can convert it to just about any format you like, including .odt. Additionally, Pandoc supports Markdown extensions that give you things like footnotes that weren't in the original Markdown.

My team uses it for documentation (see http://github.com/liferay/liferay-docs), and it's really nice.
sez
Baby Hen

Postby d72 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:27

Thanks, I'll try that, I can't get pandoc to compile though
d72
Baby Hen

Postby sez » Sat Jul 06, 2013 19:29

You might have to install dev-haskell first; I think I tried installing that before I realized Pandoc could be emerged, so I may have already had it installed.
sez
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General