Samba - GUI ? [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Samba - GUI ? [Solved]

Postby loverollingrelease » Mon Mar 25, 2013 21:54

Howdy,

let me say from the outset that I'm lazy and don't want to write a smb.conf file. I was searching the forum and the wiki for help but didn't find anything.

I just want to share files from a desktop (sabayon) and want to access them with a notebook (sabayon).

Please let me know if there's any GUI that eases work for that.

TIA
Last edited by loverollingrelease on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
loverollingrelease
Simple Hen

Re: Samba - GUI ?

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Mon Mar 25, 2013 22:37

Well, do you ever heard about search engines?

:arrow: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Samba#Gui_admin

Catchwords: gentoo samba gui.

If you dislike Nautilus, search on your own first.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:14

loverollingrelease wrote:Howdy,

TIA

Maybe you are interested in 'system-config-samba'. You can find the debian package here:
http://pkgs.org/ubuntu-11.10/ubuntu-universe-i386/system-config-samba_1.2.63-0ubuntu4_all.deb/download/
You can download the 'deb' file from here, then start the command:
Code: Select all
ar x system-config-samba ....
You will get a file with name 'data.tar.gz', a zipped file.
When you unzip this data.tar.gz, then you will see a structure with /usr and more....
Now you can (you must) exactly move this structure to the matching location on your hdd. Be root for this.
After copying, you can start
Code: Select all
system-config-samba
as root.
In my case no other package (python) was necessary to install.
I ever used this tool long time ago. Try it. Maybe this will help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby loverollingrelease » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52

Thanks a lot linuxfluesterer, this works like a charm!
loverollingrelease
Simple Hen

Re: Samba - GUI ? [Solved]

Postby Stupot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 16:00

Be warned, you are installing a package outside of the package management system. You won't be receiving any updates for this package and it may break from upgrades in the future without any warning.

I don't see this particular package in the portage tree, so there isn't currently a "correct way" to install it. Nor do I personally know of an alternative choice to recommend. I just thought I would inform you that if this breaks in the future, there isn't really much anybody can do. But if it doesn't have many dependencies, you might not even run into that issue.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby loverollingrelease » Tue Mar 26, 2013 20:11

Ok, thanks for the infos Stupot.

If it breaks I'll test some alternatives. :)
loverollingrelease
Simple Hen

Postby Matte88 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 21:54

let me say from the outset that I'm lazy and don't want to write a smb.conf file. I was searching the forum and the wiki for help but didn't find anything.

I just want to share files from a desktop (sabayon) and want to access them with a notebook (sabayon).

TIA
With KDE you could right-click on a folder, go to Proprieties and from there check Share.
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby Dreyeth » Mon Apr 29, 2013 0:14

Matte88 wrote:

TIA
With KDE you could right-click on a folder, go to Proprieties and from there check Share.

Out of the box this won't work in Sabayon KDE it fails to add the share and forgets that
a user ever shared the folder in their home directory the second dolphin is closed and reopened.

Any info on where to find the correct way to configure the system, to allow users to put up
folders they have access to for share and actually have it work?

If it is as simple as changing some of the settings in /etc/samba/smb.conf I'll go look for it
and learn some more about its configuration, but if the issue is somewhere else would appreciate
a point in the right direction.

Right now though in Dolphin clicking on a folder you have access rights to and trying to share it
doesn't work, and gets completely forgotten when Dolphin is closed.

I've configured my shares manually in my smb.conf but its always bugged me that the GUI
for it in Dolphin isn't functioning, or doesn't have the permissions to actually do it, and since
it is technically broken then, it must be fixed. :twisted:
Dreyeth
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General