Kmail and KDE 4.10.1

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Kmail and KDE 4.10.1

Postby tollgate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29

Well I was really pleased overall with the new KDE, particularly with respect to Kmail which seems a lot more stable connecting to my IMAP server. AND, when writing a new email it was looking up my address books as well as recent contacts. Previously only recent contacts were looked up.

Then, sadly, after a reboot, Kmail was once again only looking up recent addresses. Tried another reboot but still only recent addresses. Damn.

So clearly it can work. But for some reason it's reverted back to the old behaviour and I have no idea how to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?
tollgate
Growing Hen

Re: Kmail and KDE 4.10.1

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56

I use Thunderbird rather than KMail, so can only hazard a guess. You could try the procedure used by Gentoo user Xywa in his post over in the Gentoo Forums: http://forums-web2.gentoo.org/viewtopic ... l?#7244850

I have to say that the perennial stories I read about KMail problems since KDE 4.0 was released make me very wary of KMail. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. :)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby tollgate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46

Fitzcarraldo - I need a barge pole! After reading your post I decided to switch to Thunderbird, and it does seem to have improved a lot since I last used it full time four years ago.

A couple of days ago I thought I had kmail running just as I wanted. I no longer needed to keep restarting the akonadi server (normally had to do this 2 or 3 times each working day) and got address auto complete working. But it suddenly seemed much slower retrieving messages. Why? Well kmail or akonadi had deleted my imap cache of over 190K messages.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 15:00

It's a shame about KMail, because it used to be a good e-mail client. I have KDE on my main laptop and am quite a fan of KDE as a DE, but some of the official KDE apps never recovered from the KDE 3 to 4 switch.

I would be lost without Thunderbird. I use it extensively in several time zones for work and personal e-mail accounts, and have thousands of e-mails stored in it for many years. It manages six e-mail accounts, two of which use the excellent FOSS DavMail to access Outlook Web Access WebMail accounts of two companies, and I use the Lightning integrated calendar which correctly stores meetings and events (even from the OWA accounts). And, as I dual boot with Windows 7, I have the Thunderbird e-mail database located on the Windows NTFS partition so that I can access the stored e-mails and send e-mails from both Linux and Windows.

These are the Thunderbird Extensions that I find invaluable:
British English Dictionary
Change quote and reply format <<< Change the reply header and the reply format.
ConfigDate <<< Configure the 'Date' column and displayed date in message header.
Correct Identity <<< Allows you to configure the identity that will be chosen upon composing mail.
Diccionario de Español/España
Enigmail <<< OpenPGP message encryption and authentication.
ImportExportTools <<< Adds some tools to import and export messages and folders.
Lightning <<< An integrated calendar for Thunderbird.
Provider for Google Calendar <<< Allows bidirectional access to Google Calendar.
Test Pilot for Thunderbird <<< Help make Thunderbird better by running user studies.
Timezone Definitions for Mozilla Calendar <<< Timezone definitions required by Sunbird and Lightning.
Verificador Orthogáfico para Português do Brasil
WebMail

These are the Thunderbird Plugins that are installed:
DivX Browser Plug-in
DjView
Java Plug-in
mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer
QuickTime Plug-in
RealPlayer 9
Shockwave Flash
Windows Media Player Plug-in

A couple of old bookmarks: 12 Thunderbird Addons You Shouldn’t Be Without, 10 must-have Thunderbird Addons (+ 25 more).

There are still several other handy Thunderbird add-ons I want to try when I get around to it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby tollgate » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47

I agree that it's a shame about kmail. It has the potential to be excellent software, but always has a beta feel about it.

I have been using Thunderbird again for a few days now and I remember two things I did not like about it:

1. sending emails happens twice - once to the recipient and once to the sent items folder. OK - not a problem really.

2. It uses mbox. Some of my offline files are 5Gb+. Is this likely to be a problem?
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29

Hallo Tollgate.
I've been using Thunderbird for a long time also.
First is, you can deactivate a 'copy in Sent folder' in account settings.
I never handled 5Gigabyte emails (neither online nor offline). But you can choose URL links to websites like 2shared or photobucket maybe. There are more, where you can store big packages and only forward the URL.
The main disappointing point of Thunderbird for me is the mix of language (German and English) :(
And I've heard, that Thunderbird is no more really supported yet. Mozilla will concentrate on Firefox.
So, at the moment, I use webmail services, because KMail is really no solution. I've tried it several times.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby tollgate » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:05

Hi Linuxfluesterer

If I deactivate 'copy in Sent folder', surely I won't get a copy in my sent folder which I must have.

I think you misunderstood my reference to large 5Gb+ files. I am not sending large files. These are the size of my offline email stores (I use imap but like to keep a copy locally for offline use). I worry these large files might get easily corrupted as they are continually being written to. Having said this, I have just learned that Thunderbird can now store emails as maildir (ie individual emails) rather than mbox. It needs a change in about:config and I am testing it right now.

As I mentioned before, I was using kmail. Today it deleted my offline cache for the second time, so as you say - no solution.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby Mark Nei » Tue Apr 02, 2013 14:48

I'm stubborn. I've been using kmail since forever. Getting it configured is not as easy as I wish it was, but moving from a very old version in my last incarnation of linux to the 4.10.1 version is now up and running well. I keep a lot of e-mail around, so I really appreciate having each e-mail in its own file. I never liked having all of my mail go away when something went wrong in a mbox file like Thunderbird uses.
Mark Nei
Baby Hen

Postby tollgate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 15:48

Hi Mark. Like you, I have been using kmail for a long time. I had it working quite well until last week when it deleted over 190,000 messages (I use disconnected imap). I thought I would try again and got up to 3500 offline messages and then it deleted those as well. I actually had the whole akonadi folder backed up this time so I restored the whole lot but as soon as I restarted kmail it deleted all the mail again. So it seems for me, disconnected imap has suddenly stopped working.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby Mark Nei » Sun Apr 21, 2013 23:54

Hi Tollgate,
It has been several weeks since you started testing thunderbird. How is the test going? Have you decided to completely dump kmail or are you still testing?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Nei
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Software in General