No accents / dead keys in LyX (Qt apps?) [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

No accents / dead keys in LyX (Qt apps?) [Solved]

Postby ElDuderino » Wed Feb 06, 2013 23:45

Hi,

since a few days, I noticed I cannot use dead keys in LyX to enter i.e. french accents. Other programs work, though. I googled and found this page: http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/FixDeadKeysAndCompose , which describes installing ibus-qt and running qtconfig4 (qtconfig on my install, the article is talking about ubuntu) to set in method to ibus. I did that, but it didn't help. I also started ibus-daemon, but all that did was set my keymap to us. Obviously, I don't know how to set ibus up properly.

This is really annoying, since I need to use those characters for my work. Has anyone experienced something similar or could even point me to a solution? Is Ibus the solution or the problem? Help!

Best regards
Last edited by ElDuderino on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:16, edited 1 time in total.
ElDuderino
Growing Hen

Re: No accents / dead keys in LyX (Qt apps?)

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:41

Ehm … why don't you write your stuff in pure LaTeX?
There also French packages available. This way you have more control about the design et al.
We Germans do nead accents, too, so you can look for German instructions, too (in particular).

Which LyX version do you use? As far as I can tell some things change drastically there …
I found some tipps here (for Ubuntu).
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby ElDuderino » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:52

Ryuno-Ki wrote:Ehm … why don't you write your stuff in pure LaTeX?

Well, because it has so many convenient features that make it easier to use (for me) than pure latex (used to do that, though). Plus, you still have the ability to tweak a documents preamble or insert direct latex code anywhere in a document.

But nvm my question, I figured out I didn't start Ibus properly, now I did. Not sure though whether I should have it started for every session, since I didn't need it before...

Thanks for the tips, anyway!

Best regards
ElDuderino
Growing Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Thu Feb 07, 2013 21:12

Hm, okay, but don't forget to mark the thread as [Solved], please ;)
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Return to Software in General