Voip on KDE

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Voip on KDE

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 14:18

Hallo guys.
I'm trying different Voip software on my SL X with KDE 4.9.3 with Kernel 3.6.
Though offered in Rigo, after installing 'sflphone', it is starting with a qt error:
Code: Select all
QTimer can only be used with threads started with QThread
Anyway, I can't get it started in a window.

So, I tried 'Linphone'. After start, it freezes for felt more than one minute, though I have successful registration with smartvoip (my provider). I remember last years in other distros I could use Linphone or KPhone.
I need Voip for calling (mobile) from my laptop.
'Ekiga' is not KDE but I tried also. Here I have that same problem. Ekiga freezes all time. I can't use it.
So, is there any good idea or an alternative, which I can use?
Skype to phone is too expencive.
I'd really like to try 'phoner', but it seems, it's (no more) supported for linux, though it was before.
And last not least, where is 'KPhone'? I haven't found it in Rigo.

Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Voip on KDE

Postby Stupot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 17:34

Are you sure the SFLPhone daemon is running (sflphoned)?

It looks like you are not the person to run across this issue. Don't know if anybody else has solved it, but some googling will probably help you out. http://dot.kde.org/2012/08/21/sflphone- ... kde-family
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:35

Regarding SFLphone, see SL Forums thread SFLphone.

net-voip/sflphone-1.0.1-r1
SFLphone is a robust standards-compliant enterprise softphone, for desktop and embedded systems.
binary → standard → sabayon-weekly → amd64 → 5 | revision: 0 | date: 2012-08-24 12:24:41.380000
Recent Changes: Non-maintainer commit: fix building with glib-2.32 (bug #417765, thanks to Petr Gregor) and compatibility with pjsip-1.14.

Repository: sabayon-weekly

Sub-repository: gentoo

License: GPL-3

Required space: 15.5MB

Category: net-voip

Slot: 0

Tag: N/A

CHOST: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

CFLAGS: -O2 -march=x86-64 -pipe

CXXFLAGS: -O2 -march=x86-64 -pipe

Checksum: 4b6cfe9291847cae19c534dc07f683e9

SHA 256: 14bf3230ee756ba662672cb1a4e7db43589028608c0b943e40c209560308aaff

Package file: packages/amd64/5/net-voip:sflphone-1.0.1-r1~0.tbz2

Package size: 0.9MB

USE flags: speex -static-libs amd64 -gnome multilib kernel_linux elibc_glibc -debug -doxygen gsm -networkmanager userland_GNU

Keywords: ~amd64 ~x86

Injected: False
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:04

Thank you, Stupot:
Stupot wrote:Are you sure the SFLPhone daemon is running (sflphoned)?

There is NO sflphoned 1.0.1 daemon installed or to be found anyway with 'locate' command on my system after installing with Rigo. So, how to start it then???

It looks like you are not the person to run across this issue. Don't know if anybody else has solved it, but some googling will probably help you out. http://dot.kde.org/2012/08/21/sflphone- ... kde-family

I have read your URL before, but really, I see no solution that runs for me (and it's confusing me to run a KDE client)

Thank you, Fitzcarraldo, but no success.
I downloaded sflphone-1.2 from here:
http://www.elvanor.net/files/gentoo/sflphone-1.2.0.tar.gz

I could configure, make and make install from the 'sflphone-kde-client',
but after a make from daemon (which seems to run properly), I was not able to do a successfully
make install

I received, that there is no tule to build a 'build.mak'.

Sorry to say this, that's not the way, I would like to make a simple voip program run on my system. I'd easily like to install it with Rigo, if it is then offered at all. If not working or not completely, then why is it in Rigo then? Better to withdraw it.

Btw. there is no more X-Lite voip program for Linux from Counterpath anymore (it was there, at least for Ubuntu).
Is there no one really here, who has a working voip kde client?
This is not a special situation I would like to use. I see it as an essential part of a working internet platform.
I know and some friends asked me also, why does Linux (they say Linux, not KDE) can not offer a simple voip program?

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 14:55

So you didn't use the ebuild sflphone-1.2.0.ebuild in a local overlay and use Portage? You need to do that, not build it manually outside of a package manager.

Gentoo Bugzilla bUG Report No. 416999 - net-voip/sflphone new release 1.2.0

Stefan Triller wrote:OK, i had a look on the ebuild and it says that if kde use flag is enabled gcc-4.6 is required. However, I had 4.5 and 4.6 installed so that check succeeded, but I had 4.5 as default and thus it stopped building.

It builds fine with gcc-4.6 as default.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:57

Fitzcarraldo wrote:So you didn't use the ebuild sflphone-1.2.0.ebuild in a local overlay and use Portage? You need to do that, not build it manually outside of a package manager.

Yes, obviously I didn't. My mistake, but I really don't know how to deal with it. Local overlay? Portage? How? I remember, when I downloaded an *.ebd file from Sabayon/packages (maybe wrong ext) some time ago, I simply clicked on it and Sulfur started to install.
But now I downloaded
sflphone-1.2.0.ebuild
from
Gentoo Bugzilla bUG Report No. 416999 - net-voip/sflphone new release 1.2.0

and then? I clicked on it, nothing... I opened Konole (with root), I typed
ebuild sflphone-1.2.0.ebuild install
after rename from .bin to .ebuild and nothing...
In Howto website of Gentoo ebuild, I don't understand the syntax or to repeat it ... I don't know how to deal with it.
Sorry, that's too complicated for me...

Anyway ... I am
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:55

You need to learn how to use Portage, and how to use local overlays in Portage. This requires study of the Gentoo documentation, the official and unofficial Gentoo Wiki (it has an article explaining how to set up local overlays) and other Internet sources. There are also a number of posts in the SL Forums with examples of creating and using a local overlay.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General