ATI Radeon HD 3200 [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

ATI Radeon HD 3200 [Solved]

Postby onlystitch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 20:11

I installed the AMD64 on my HP Pavillion dv6z-1000 the video card is a ATI Radeon HD 4530 I can boot into recovery mode, and I am not sure how to get my video rolling.
Last edited by onlystitch on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:56, edited 3 times in total.
Hp dv6z-1000 Sabayon 10XFCE
onlystitch
Baby Hen

Re: VIDEO issue, new laptop

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17

Unfortunately AMD have dropped Catalyst (FGLRX) driver support for the 4000 Series GPUs, although there is a 'legacy' closed-source Catalyst driver. So you have two options: 1) try to install the legacy ati-drivers package, or 2) try to install the open-source Radeon driver.

For Option 1, see the instructions in the SL Forums post: http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php? ... 31#p154472
(Also check if the file /etc/conf.d/modules specifies the loading of the radeon module, and comment it out if it does.)

For Option 2, see the blog post: http://joostruis.wordpress.com/2011/01/ ... -catalyst/ and also the note about Radeon HD 4000 Series GPUs at the end of the SL Press Release for SL 10. in these forums.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby JACKAL913 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 20:12

Thanks for your help but non of this mobo jumbo worked, infact caused more problems, I'm not a lazy nor am i a stupid person , just don't know how to go about changing things around in this distro, I did how ever get it to work and after looking things over comparing live disk configuration apposed to the actual install and noticed i had to turn on acpi to get live disk to load and in the grub it was off, all i did was edit the grub and changed the value acpi=on and it works like a charm, the only reason I am posting this is to help others with the same problem find an answer to a truly frustrating situation, I would like to say however that Sabayon should do something to help the countless people that have given up on this distro simply because it is to much of a headache to fix the problem as opposed to just finding another distro.....these problems do not exist in other distros ie PCL OS, Mint, and Ubuntu to name a few, if they found a way around it what does this say about the distro that prides itself on working "out of the box"
JACKAL913
Baby Hen

Postby lupinehorror » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:22

i had some severe issues with ubuntu and acpi on an old desktop a few years back. sometimes the hardware just isn't liked by linux (as far as i remember it was the intel chipset on the mainboard that was to blame).
so despite your bad experience i don't think these issues exist only with sabayon.
glad you got it fixed though and hope your solution helps others who might find themselves in the same boat.
sabayon on my desktop - debian on my servers
lupinehorror
Baby Hen

Re: VIDEO issue, new laptop [Solved]

Postby onlystitch » Fri Dec 21, 2012 13:58

I still have to get this resolved, mr admin, please spell check names before you solve my thread. :shock:
onlystitch
Baby Hen

Postby micia » Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:36

I've removed the solved tag, anyway you can always edit your posts and remove the solved tags, in case you want to reopen a thread, or, like it happened now, if there was any mistake by the moderators or administrators.
Sorry for the mistake, it was probably added due to the long inactivity of this thread, most users tend to "leave" the topics they have solved in the dark.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby onlystitch » Fri Dec 21, 2012 14:44

no problem, my motherboard crashed and last night the replacement board came in, so its back up, time to get my video rolling.
onlystitch
Baby Hen

Postby onlystitch » Fri Dec 21, 2012 16:46

I reinstalled amd64 10, video was an issue, went into recovery mode, tried to edit grub.....it was blank?? so I uninstalled grub, ran all my updates, installed the ATI config app, installed some other apps Google Chrome etc, re-installed grub 2.0, its a little scetchey on boot, but its up and running.. [Solved]
onlystitch
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:41

onlystitch wrote:I still have to get this resolved, mr admin, please spell check names before you solve my thread. :shock:

Apologies. My error: I read the comment from JACKAL913 with a solution and in my haste assumed it was you.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Video issue, new laptop [Solved]

Postby onlystitch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 19:43

:arrow: JACKAL913, can you give me a little depth into your solution from the grub? The beta drivers solution didn't work, and the other solution made my system slow for whatever reason I'm not exactly sure why.

Its running current 10 xfce
onlystitch
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Software in General