Deluge failing after last week's updates [workaround]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Deluge failing after last week's updates [workaround]

Postby Gordon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:54

Since running the updates last week I noticed that none of the torrents I added were getting downloaded. I see peers connecting but I'm not even receiving the file list on those (magnet link) downloads.

After some searching I found that this has been a known issue since mid april 2012. The cause is said to be rb_libtorrent (rasterbar) as of version 0.16 and it would appear that this version was freed for release by Gentoo/Sabayon last week and pushed out. Didn't anyone check or is there also a Deluge update that is being delayed?
Last edited by Gordon on Wed Dec 12, 2012 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon
Simple Hen

Re: Deluge failing after last week's updates

Postby abs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 16:18

Hi,

Same problem for me few days ago.

Remove rb_libtorrent and deluge using equo "equo remove rb_libtorrent deluge " (keeps user prefs and config on your $home/.config folder)

Install libtorrent 0.16.3 from source http://libtorrent.googlecode.com/files/ ... 6.3.tar.gz
(./configure -> make -> make check -> sudo make install)

Install deluge using emerge or equo BUT with --nodeps parameter:

equo install --nodeps deluge or emerge --nodeps deluge

It works fine for me. ....
abs
Growing Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sat Dec 08, 2012 0:25

abs wrote:
Install libtorrent 0.16.3 from source http://libtorrent.googlecode.com/files/ ... 6.3.tar.gz
(./configure -> make -> make check -> sudo make install)
Why ?

you can compile from portatge

Code: Select all
 net-libs/rb_libtorrent
     Available versions:  0.15.10^t ~0.16.3^t ~0.16.5^t {{debug doc examples python ssl static-libs}}
     Homepage:            http://www.rasterbar.com/products/libtorrent/
     Description:         C++ BitTorrent implementation focusing on efficiency and scalability
:roll:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby abs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 0:37

0.16.3 "pure" from source was the unique to solve my problem with torrent and magnet links (both)
abs
Growing Hen

Postby micia » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:39

It is unlikely that you need the "pure" package from sources, since portage compiles from sources exactly that version (as you can see from the ebuild, it doesn't even perform any patching).
Moreover such a solution is going to create many problems in the future, when either entropy or portage will try to reinstall it over your manually compiled sources.

I think the solution from sabayonino is much better, as it basically means restoring the old version on your system while still having every file under the control of your package manager.
Have you actually tried to compile the old version from portage or you went straight to the (unsupported) manual installation path?
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby Gordon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 13:39

I tried these suggestions before. Actually found on the web that the issue started with 1.16 so attempted to emerge the older 0.15.10. That really didn't work to well on account of compiler errors related to boost. Downgrading boost helped to get rb_libtorrent compile but then deluge complained that there was no libtorrent :?

Since it stated here that 0.16.3 would be okay, I retried those steps. One advantage was that I didn't have to downgrade boost, but still the same error in deluge. The final hint came when I wanted to try and emerge deluge rather then use equo: rb_libtorrent has to be compiled with python use flag.

So to get magnets working again this is what you need to do:
Code: Select all
# emerge --sync
USE=python emerge -av ~rb_libtorrent-0.16.3

Thanks for the hint on version 0.16.3
Gordon
Simple Hen

Return to Software in General