geogebra

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

geogebra

Postby gav989 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 19:49

has anyone managed to install geogebra? i can't see it in entropy (the online version anyway) nor can I find an ebuild for it

currently downloading a sabayon iso, hoping to install soon. i'm a maths teacher and i'm hoping to use sabayon on my laptop to teach with so having geogebra is quite important to me

thanks all
gav989
Simple Hen

Re: geogebra

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 22:35

geogebra is indeed not in the Entropy repositories. However there is an ebuild for it in Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report No. 386239 so you could try installing it in a local overlay using the Portage package manager. An example of how to install a package in a local overlay to the main Portage tree is given in the post Re: Augmented reality.

Alternatively, if you feel uncomfortable doing that, you could file a request for the package to be built and added to the Entropy repository -- see the post Requesting Packages for Entropy - New Policy for the procedure. Don't forget to refer to the above-mentioned Gentoo Bugzilla Bug Report if you do.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby gav989 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 23:22

i've used local overlays before so i should be ok, i might make the request anyway because i think it's a good program

thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing what sabayon looks like (not used it since 5.4)
gav989
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:36

If you do decide to install it in a local overlay, please post to let SL forum users know if it works correctly.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby batvink » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:36

you can also open a fully functional GeoGebra applet in your web browser. Nothing will be installed on your computer.
Indeed, a nice and handy program.
http://www.geogebra.org/cms/en/download
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Postby thecata » Fri Nov 04, 2011 13:14

I didn't know anything about geogebra until now, but you can use kmplot (it seems to have pretty much the same functionality) - kmplot is available in entropy
Catalin Pol
Linux user since 2004; Sabayon user since 2006
thecata
Simple Hen

Return to Software in General