Running BZip2 &/or GZip [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Running BZip2 &/or GZip [Solved]

Postby dhinds » Mon Sep 12, 2011 19:42

Both are installed, but I see neither in either "Accessories" nor System Tools. If I type their names in a terminal, that doesn't load them. So how do I run them?

TIA
Last edited by dhinds on Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:50, edited 1 time in total.
dhinds
Young Hen

Re: Running BZip2 &/or GZip

Postby DHalens » Mon Sep 12, 2011 20:00

Both are programs to be run in console. They don't have any kind of graphics.
Some programs like ark use those two and others to compress files.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby dhinds » Mon Sep 12, 2011 22:08

DHalens wrote:Both are programs to be run in console. They don't have any kind of graphics.
Some programs like ark use those two and others to compress files.

My immediate need is to DEcompress a msi file that won't install under Wine. I figured if I unpack it, maybe I can get it to install. (Under a couple of other linux distros I was able to install this same msi file using Wine. There must be something about this version of Wine). Aside from the above, I assume I need a good zip / unzip application installed and Entropy tells me those 2 already are.

But if they won't run in a terminal and have no gui, how are they operated? In what console?

Also, I don't see ark in entropy and typing that in as a command produces no effect in a terminal window.
dhinds
Young Hen

Postby DHalens » Tue Sep 13, 2011 0:06

Each of those package works for its file format. If you write in a console gzip --help or bzip2 --help (for a proper longer manual, man gzip or man bzip2) you'll see how they work. Altough msi is neither a zip nor a bzip file so those two programs won't do anything with it.
Ark is the package kde-base/ark but should be already installed if you're using kde or not worth installing if you're using gnome (don't know the name of the gnome program for [de]compress...).

Seems like old msi files are like cab files so you may be able to extract it with cabextract but also seems tha newer ones are a different file format and even wine requires to use native msi unpacker. But this is more related to your other thread so, if needed, ask more about it in the other thread.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Re: Running BZip2 &/or GZip [Solved]

Postby dhinds » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:50

DHalens wrote:Each of those package works for its file format. If you write in a console gzip --help or bzip2 --help (for a proper longer manual, man gzip or man bzip2) you'll see how they work. Altough msi is neither a zip nor a bzip file so those two programs won't do anything with it.
Ark is the package kde-base/ark but should be already installed if you're using kde or not worth installing if you're using gnome (don't know the name of the gnome program for [de]compress...).

Seems like old msi files are like cab files so you may be able to extract it with cabextract but also seems tha newer ones are a different file format and even wine requires to use native msi unpacker. But this is more related to your other thread so, if needed, ask more about it in the other thread.

My intention was to install The Bat! (an email client I've been suing since 2000), then import my mail backup files.

My mistake was, when I right clicked on the msi file I wanted to install, the menu offered "Open with a Wine Application" (which I chose) and it didn't work. A lot farther down in the Open with other List was "Open with Wine Windows Program Loader, which did the job (and The Bat! 3.99 is working).

I still need to identify a Linux application that compresses and decompresses, so your suggestion will be put to use.

Thanks for taking the time.
dhinds
Young Hen

Re: Running BZip2 &/or GZip [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 16:41

dhinds wrote:I still need to identify a Linux application that compresses and decompresses, so your suggestion will be put to use.

Check out p7zip and its GUI front-end q7z. Both are in the Entropy repository.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General