Todays updates Broke my System!??!? [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Todays updates Broke my System!??!? [Solved]

Postby greendave8 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 19:05

Hi All,

This morning I updated my Sabayon 6 install with the 166 updates, that came along during the night. It all updated fine and I logged out of the desktop and went to work. Tonight I could only get to a blank screen with a mouse pointer visible. It moves normally, it seems I have no wallpaper or icons. Indeed its a blank screen, just with pointer. How do I get back to my desktop. Right click does nothing.... HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!

Thanks in advance :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry:

gd8
Last edited by greendave8 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
greendave8
Growing Hen

Re: Todays updates Broke my System!??!?

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 19:42

It will help if you state which desktop environment you're talking about. I suspect it's KDE because I have a similar problem on an older machine and the number of updates suggests KDE. The mouse pointer moves but the keyboard is dead and clicks do nothing. Is that familiar?
I haven't got an answer I'm afraid but I got the machine workable by logging into fluxbox and installing gnome. Not a cure but it would keep you going until the answer is found.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby greendave8 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 19:46

Yes,

Sorry KDE is the environment. I think I found another thread so I'll check it out and report back asap..

gd8 :oops:
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby batvink » Wed Jul 13, 2011 20:56

KDE has upgraded from 4.6.4 to 4.6.5
i had the same problem.
and i saw it has something changed with xorg.conf.
i'm glad i always have backups from important system files,
so i just renamed xorg.conf and replaced with a backup copy.
and sabayon works well again.
(now try to find out what sabayon changed with my xorg...)
batvink
Old Dear Hen

Re: Todays updates Broke my System!??!? KDE FAULT?

Postby greendave8 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 22:05

ok, so I get to the log in screen,enter the password and the box appears with the hd, spanner, world, desktop and Hens foot appears..... and then ..... nothing.... just a blank dark screen with a mouse cursor. I have tried re-installing the nvidia driver to no avail.

I have tried to startx, nothing, HOWEVER THIS BIT IS INTERESTING....
I tried starting in the Sabayon Media centre and it LOGGED IN FINE!!!
Logging into Fluxbox, also seems to work....very basic stuff, but able to surf on Firefox etc...
Logging into XBMC also works fine

It seems with all the KDE updates, I am unable to log into my kde desktop. Anyone got any ideas???

CHEERS

GD8
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby genfool » Wed Jul 13, 2011 22:41

equo deptest
equo libtest
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby greendave8 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 23:02

Hi Genfool,

Thanks for the response. I ran the commands you told me to,and I still cannot log into kde desktop.
I know the nVIDIA DRIVER is being blamed by a few, but being able to log into the other environments, make me think its not the problem here. I have also re-installed kde-base, via equo install.....NO JOY.....

Any advice would be great, as I really do like SABAYON and dont want to fall out with it....

thanks in advance

gd8 :oops:
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby greendave8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 0:05

I have just installed Gnome to my system, and it boots just fine..... So what has happened to my (preferred) kde install. Why is it hosed.....

Most strange..... I am sure one or more of you sabayon superbrains will be able to point me in the right direction.... Help as always, most appreciated.... Seems like I need a fresh install od kde 4.6.5... but I tried that earlier without success....

Heeeeeeeellllp! :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:

Cheers

gd8
greendave8
Growing Hen

Postby genfool » Thu Jul 14, 2011 0:33

Sorry about this, welcome to bleeding edge. I just helped someone in irc with same issue.
I suggested xfce4-meta, for a lightweight window manager, use it as a spare tire. seems kde just got a flat.
Will be fixed soon.

I blame it 100% on joost-op taking a vacation, letting the boss lxnay add kde to the main repos :mrgreen:
Last vacation joost will ever see.
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby greendave8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30

Thanks Genfool, glad its not just me then... I'll continue with gnome for a while, but I am looking forward to KDE again. I just like it....but not the dark, mysterious screen, with a useless mouse pointer LOL!!!!???

Thanks for reassurance...

gd8 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
greendave8
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Software in General