Firefox 5 and general [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Firefox 5 and general [Solved]

Postby loadbrain » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:00

HI,
I am new to sabayon, switched from ubuntu, do not like the new unity style.
My questions:
1. Sabayon is a rolling release, what exactly does this mean? There are version numbers, so is there every half a year a new version or what does this mean?
2. Software like Firefox 5 does it come with a new release of Sabayon?
I have seen Firefox 5 in the packages site, but it is for gentoo so I could install it with portage if I understand this right, but I want only use entropy to keep my system tight...
So how is the step for upgrades, do they come from time to time or with a new upgrade of the whole system?
Last edited by loadbrain on Wed Jun 29, 2011 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
loadbrain
Baby Hen

Re: Firefox 5 and general

Postby micia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34

Hi loadbrain,
Welcome to the Sabayon Forums and to the Sabayon Community :mrgreen:

Sabayon is a rolling distro, meaning that you will not need to reinstall your system, if you keep it updated, when a new version will come out, for example I have installed Sabayon 5.4 on this laptop and now, keeping it updated, I have Sabayon 6 on it.

Updated software will come naturally on Sabayon in the form of updates, that you can install, as any other software, with entropy. Sabayon has 2 package managers: portage and entropy. They are compatible, but it requires some experience to mix them correctly. For beginners it is better to stick with just one of them while, eventually, learning and getting to know the other one.
Portage, because of its source based nature, usually has the latest software available, entropy gets its binaries using precompiled portage packages, thus entropy gets its software after it is available on portage (and after some testing).
If there is a software that you want on entropy and it is not currently available, you can request for it to be added, following these guidelines:
viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13891
micia
Sagely Hen

Re: Firefox 5 and general

Postby loadbrain » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:08

Hi micia,
Thanx a lot for your reply!
Now a lot for me is clearer.
No problem, it is not urgent for me to have Firefox 5 or Firefox 4... :wink:

So I know now, it simply will come sometime is enough for me

Great thing this Sabayon, I really like it. :D
loadbrain