Can I Install BOINC from the Repos?

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Can I Install BOINC from the Repos?

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 17:40

Appreciate your input Wolfden.

I don't intend to give up but will try to get more familiar with Linux in general by forcing myself to use it more.

Since I have three PC's I always tend to do things on the Win 7 machine out of habit but I figure if I spend more time actually using Linux things should become a bit clearer.

I'd have to admit I'm probably not the average student either as I struggle with attention deficit so sometimes when I read articles it just starts to run together and become one big jumble. That's where seeing the proper code before me tends to help but I can sure see your point in people abusing that method.

I help out at a couple of places with PC issues (Windows based) and I've lost track of how many times someone has asked me to give them the overclock values for their computer so they could run it faster. If only it were that simple. :)

As for the BOINC thing, well to each his own I guess, but speaking for myself I got involved with it because I've had so many I know affected by Cancer and I view distributed computing as a method by which I can do something positive in the way of contributing, yet have a modicum of control over where my resources go.

I don't believe in turning PC's off so they might as well be doing something useful.

I also have a large family and have built so many computers for them that it bothered me how much money I invested in hardware to simply have it used for MSN or some other form of social networking.

This way I feel my investment is doing something for the common good and I always focus on medical based projects.

Another thing I've noticed is that since most of these PC's are in other locations I can view the output of each respective computer through BOINC stats and often tell by looking at that whether it's time to do some maintenance on it or not.

In so far as operating systems go I will always have to keep at least one windows machine as long as I help out in that department but ultimately I'm sick of MS and license agreements and wish to do whatever I can to stay away from them.

I've already removed MS Office, Outlook Express, and disabled IE on everything I own and use only Open Office, Thunderbird, and FireFox so it's a start.
DFI LP UT-X58_T3eH8, Intel i7 920 @ 3.62Ghz, OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, 6GB PC3-15000 OCZ Reaper (8-8-8-28), OCZ 500W PSU, GeForce 9800GTX, Seagate 500GB SATA2, LG DVD/RW SATA, Fujitsu floppy, Bernstein 7.1 Audio, Samsung E2320 Monitor, Logitech Keyboard/Mouse
LoneWolf_53
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:17

Out of curiosity of this Boinc stuff, is there any facts/figures of what the distributed computing has done for the project. Are they accomplishing stuff with it?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38

wolfden wrote:Out of curiosity of this Boinc stuff, is there any facts/figures of what the distributed computing has done for the project. Are they accomplishing stuff with it?

BOINC is basically the software that quite a number of projects run on from SETI to [email protected], DNETC, GPUgrid, and World Community Grid to name but a few.

The team that I oversee focuses on World Community Grid where most of the projects are medical based.

WCG has work for Fight [email protected], Help Cure Childhood Cancer, Human Proteome Folding, Help Conquer Cancer, Discovering Dengue Drugs, Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy and Influenza Antiviral Drug Research, as well as Computing for Clean Water, and Clean Energy Project.

This article at Chemistry World probably describes things best in so far as how our contributions have helped.

http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issue ... eCures.asp
DFI LP UT-X58_T3eH8, Intel i7 920 @ 3.62Ghz, OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF, 6GB PC3-15000 OCZ Reaper (8-8-8-28), OCZ 500W PSU, GeForce 9800GTX, Seagate 500GB SATA2, LG DVD/RW SATA, Fujitsu floppy, Bernstein 7.1 Audio, Samsung E2320 Monitor, Logitech Keyboard/Mouse
LoneWolf_53
Simple Hen

Postby dudumomo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 16:31

Can we do anything to see BOINC on Sabayon ? (I mean with equo ?)
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 13:24

Can we do anything to help adding BOINC to sulfur ?
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sat Mar 10, 2012 19:28

dudumomo wrote:Can we do anything to help adding BOINC to sulfur ?

You can Install Boinc via portage

Code: Select all
# emerge --sync &&  layman -S

If you have nvidia GPU supported from several projects
# USE="cuda" emerge boinc

else simply
#  emerge boinc

then edit /etc/conf.d/boinc and set some variables like :

USER="your_user"
GROUP="users"

and

RUNTIMEDIR="/path/where/stored/boinc/data"

set your user to some boinc-group

# gpasswd -a your_user boinc

If you're running cuda applications set "boinc" video group (your user is set by default)
# gapsswd -a boinc video

Reload your X session to make change

Start Boinc service
# /etc/init.d/boinc start

Looking for Boinc-Client and run

If it works fine
# rc-update add boinc default

to start boinc service at boot.

:roll:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:35

Thanks for the detail.
But in this case, I will directly installed the sh from Berkeley.

I was just wondering if adding BOINC in sulfur was planned and if not, if we can help.
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby dudumomo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 14:37

Yeeaaah !!
We have BOINC in the repo !

But the manager cannot connect to the client. Will check why.

PS: We need the password to connect (From /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg).
Or you can delete it

Very good !
Don't know who did that, but thanks !
dudumomo
Growing Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sat Jul 21, 2012 17:29

dudumomo wrote:Yeeaaah !!
We have BOINC in the repo !

But the manager cannot connect to the client. Will check why.

PS: We need the password to connect (From /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg).
Or you can delete it

Very good !
Don't know who did that, but thanks !

Very Good.

If you running Boinc with Cuda support for Nvidia GPU , you need compile with "cuda" useflag enabled.
I see that Boinc is compiled without Cuda support : https://packages.sabayon.org/show/boinc ... -show-what
Use Flag : amd64 -cuda multilib kernel_linux elibc_glibc X userland_GNU
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby steffie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 17:50

Sa 21 Jul 2012 18:33:27 CEST | | Starting BOINC client version 7.0.29 for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
Processor: 4 GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz [Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7]
NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce GTX 550 Ti (driver version unknown, CUDA version 4.20, compute capability 2.1, 1024MB, 134214549MB available, 731 GFLOPS peak)
Config: GUI RPC allowed from any host
Sa 21 Jul 2012 18:38:57 CEST | PrimeGrid | Requesting new tasks for NVIDIA
Sa 21 Jul 2012 18:38:52 CEST | PrimeGrid | Starting task gcwsieve_23211478_3445602260e6_3445602620e6_0 using gcwsieve version 112 (cuda23) in slot 0

running fine for me, but think opencl does not about "driver unknown"
steffie
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Software in General