Lazarus IDE cannot be initialized

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

sabayonlinux
Young Hen

Lazarus IDE cannot be initialized

Post by sabayonlinux » Fri Sep 17, 2010 17:40

Installed Lazarus IDE in ubuntu and sabayon (but couldn't do so in mandriva yet), out of which the Lazarus runs ok in ubuntu (and also others such as linuxmint, opengeu, pclinuxos-gnome, granular, macosx, windowsxp, etc); but CodeBlocks with gdc runs ok in all three linuxes and also in windowsxp (and in case of macosx, XCode for gdc).
In case of sabayon, Lazarus is installed but on clicking does not initialize the IDE.
Is it due to the fact that Lazarus uses the old gtk1 (gtkforlazarus) and not gtk2 (gtk2forlazarus) interface.
Was able to configure geany with freepascal (fpc) and gtk2forpascal widgets in sabayon/other-linuxes, which is found to be able to run all four freepascal, gdc, python and ruby and meanwhile also hope that the glade's designer can be used for all four gtk2forpascal (or the old gtkforpascal (gtk1)), gtkD, pygtk and gtk2-ruby.
Earlier, I found that emacs in windowsxp can be able to run freepascal, python and ruby -- but in case of linux based emacs and cream+vim (for all os), things are not clear regarding configuration with fpc and gdc compilers with gtk2forpascal and gtkD.
And moreover nothing beats the userfriendliness of Lazarus IDE and CodeBlocks IDE for fpc and gdc respectively.

xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Re: Lazarus IDE cannot be initialized

Post by xlnagla » Sun Sep 19, 2010 17:16

lazarus is in our repository. Install it using either entropy (sulfur/equo) or portage (emerge) and you should find it working without flaws.

~xlnagla

sabayonlinux
Young Hen

Post by sabayonlinux » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36

Thanks a lot.
Meanwhile, I looking for the widget toolkit support for these compilers.
In case of python and ruby, complete support from all the widgets are found.
I found that in freepascal/lazarus, there are powerful tools such as lptk toolkit (fpc's equivalent of fltk (gcc/g++)), and a plugin for gtk1 in the form of gtkforpascal/gtkforlazarus.
However gtk1 (via fpc) has been said to be both extremely slow and also has poorer graphical resolution like that of the tk (or in other words like how bmp is for jpg/jpeg/png, etc).
The gtk2 (via fpc) should be better than gtk1 for both speed and resolution and is also the main native widget for linux -- but its support for fpc is not 100%, lagging behind the gtk2 support for many others.
I hope that the freepascal (fpc) (and lazarus) gets a complete support for gtk2 libraries, which currently only the gtk1 fulfils it.
On the contrary, there is complete wx support for freepascal/lazarus in the form of wxfp plugin.
Although I know that a complete qt support exists, I don't know the name of the qt plugin for freepascal/lazarus (i.e. qtfp/qtforpascal/qtforlazarus, etc).
In case of gdc, the gtkD is reported make gtk2 inheritance possible via d.
Likewise the wx support for gdc (wxd) also looks complete like the gtkD.
Although I don't know about the qt support for gdc (qtD), it is said to exist with complete support.
I also hope that if gtk3 (of future) gets released anytime later, it may sooner also equally be made 100% inheritable from fpc/gdc/others as soon as possible.

xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Post by xlnagla » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:05

I'm not sure where the question is in that...

~xlnagla

sabayonlinux
Young Hen

Post by sabayonlinux » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:47

Looking forward to configure the installed development ides of the fpc and gdc compilers for use with the common factor of gtk2 and wx widgets respectively, than use the default lptk widgets, etc.
Anyone who know fpc with Lazarus/Other IDEs can please help me in configuring with the gtk2forpascal and wxfp toolkit widgets for use.
I have unzipped the gtk2forpascal in the /usr/share folder under the name gtk2, which needs compilation using fpc compiler. Tried compiling it both with Lazarus IDE and Geany IDE, but both failed to build or run the application.
Same way, I've also unzipped the gtkD in /usr/share and thus looking forward to configure gdc (under mingw framework usable with the CodeBlocks IDE) with gtkD and wxd.

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 16:58

Personally, I never used Lazarus or D, but I don't think that Lazarus has a very good support for GTK, if you are interested in using GTK with a language of higher level than C/C++, I think that you should take a look at the Vala project:
http://live.gnome.org/Vala

(I am looking forward to have enough time to play with it :P )
or go ahead and try wxfp (but it is in prealpha status as far as I can see on sourceforge)

as for the D language:
I read that the main IDE for that language is Poseidon, but there is a good plugin for eclipse too, check it out:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent

sabayonlinux
Young Hen

Post by sabayonlinux » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:13

Installed Vala, and also found there is a ValaIDE too. Hope the Glade3 works well for Vala, but couldn't find any Vala format in the SaveAs choices -- is it the (Objective) C# (i.e. *.cs)? Or is there a modified designer interface preferred such as Gazpacho and Kiwi are for python?

Looks like Vala has best support for gtk, i.e. vala>python/c/c++/c#>ruby/d>pascal, which I agree with you.
So, I'll look both for Vala (gtk) and fpc (wxfp) [and also hope for wxGlade to support *.pas]. Thanks.

Regarding, d I'm familiar with Poseidon IDE earlier for the dmd compiler in windows, but can it be used for gdc instead of dmd? I found that dmd has two default widgets -- one is dfl (based on win32, and msforms interface), and the other one is dwl (based on eclipse based svg interface), but I'm interested to focus only in the gtkD and wxd (and qtD sometime later) which the gdc can also equally be configured as much as the dmd (moreover, the extra does not appear to be useful for me at the moment).

So far the CodeBlocks IDE and Geany can be used for gdc, but I would like to use a combination of Poseidon (or Eclipse) and a Glade3/Gazpacho/Kiwi like interface (for saving in*.d format), if it can be used for gdc with gtkD (or wxGlade for wxd).

I agree that the support for gtk2 with freepascal is currently lagging behind some others, beginning from the absence of saving in *.pas format from Glade3, or lack of Gazpacho/Kiwi like (fpc-rewrite) clones.

However, it still appears to be making progress in the form of applications making use of it.

I found both gtk2 for pascal project description from the following link:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Projects_using_Lazarus

I had downloaded the gtk2forpascal is available in the link below:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtk2forpascal/

A limited explanation for code usage for gtk2forpascal is available in the link below:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5975
(But of course this is not a full documentation)

The name of one of the freepascal applications implementing gtk2 (i.e. gtk2forpascal) is TuxCommander (Linux):
http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.net/description.php

The other FileManagers such as GnomeCommander (probably gtk+ and pygtk) and Emelfm2 (probably gtk+ (gcc) and gtkmm (g++)) are gtk2 implemented from other programming languages -- maybe C/C++/Vala/Python, etc.
The name of an lptk based equivalent program of TuxCommander is DoubleCommander (Windows); i.e. same compiler different widgets, different os; (Actually a rewrite of TotalCommander).

There is also gtk1 for pascal already there as per the following link:
http://gtkpas.sourceforge.net/

gtkpas (old gtk1)it can be downloaded as per the following link:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gtkpas/

More description for use of gtk(1) is also available in the freepascal's home site itself, as follows:
http://www.freepascal.org/packages/gtk.html

There were some other gtk(1) based pascal applications which were gtkpas based (not the TuxCommander which uses gtk2forpascal instead).

(The site says that gtk(1) is the default interface for linux, (but linux os uses the gtk2 interface by default; may change to gtk3 by 2011), and win32 for windows; fltk is also available, and Lazarus' lptk site says to be the building tool which is common for all os unless exclusively specified as gtk, gtk2 or win32 or others, etc)

micia
Sagely Hen

Post by micia » Sun Sep 26, 2010 21:52

Sorry for being late answering to you, but I am pretty busy in these days :P
Well, I didn't mean to "hate" on pascal, I actually like that language, I just think that it is not well suited for developing GTK2 applications, at least not as python or Vala can be.
I think that the Vala files extension is just .vala.
Vala is an object oriented programming language, it uses C language as its assembler, in the sense that the Vala code is "compiled" in C language, that code is then compiled to ASM as regular C does (you can also stop the compilation at the C level, to see the code that is produced).
With this point of view, you could tell that Vala GTK support is just as good as C/C++ support, but it is an higher level language (it has also some form of "performance oriented" Garbage Collection).

As I said before, I am not expert in D or pascal so I can't help you very much on that, but the Eclipse plugin I pointed you to seems well documented in respect to D language, I don't know if it supports gdc though...

sabayonlinux
Young Hen

Post by sabayonlinux » Wed Sep 29, 2010 15:46

Thank you very much for the help. :D