FOSS alternative to Microsoft Project [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

FOSS alternative to Microsoft Project [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 14:25

In case anyone is looking for an open-source equivalent to Microsoft Project, I can suggest OpenProj, as I have managed to install it by using a Portage local overlay. I obtained the ebuild and associated files from Gentoo Bugzilla Report No. 190636 and built the package as follows:

1. Download the file openproj-1.4.ebuild ("=app-office/openproj-1.4 source ;)") and save it on your Desktop.

2. Download the files CPAL.html ("The CPAL licence, html format") and openproj-1.4-fix-launcher.patch ("For source ebuild only!!") and save them on your Desktop.

3. If it's not already there, add the following line to the file /etc/make.conf:

Code: Select all
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage/"

4. Then do the following:

# emerge --sync
# layman -S
# mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/app-office/openproj/files
# cd /usr/local/portage/app-office/openproj
# cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Desktop/openproj-1.4.ebuild .
# cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Desktop/openproj-1.4-fix-launcher.patch ./files/
# cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Desktop/CPAL.html ./files/
# ebuild openproj-1.4.ebuild manifest
# emerge -1v openproj

5. If you are an Entropy user then also do the following afterwards to tell Entropy what you did via Portage:

# equo rescue spmsync

The first time I tried to build OpenProj it failed to compile, so I did the following:

# nano /etc/java-config-2/build/jdk.conf

and changed the line:

#*=sun-jdk

to:

*=sun-jdk

and saved the file. Then I merged the latest version of the Sun JDK and JRE (1.6.0.21 in both cases):

# emerge -1v sun-jdk
# emerge -1v sun-jre

and finally I tried again, this time successfully, to merge OpenProj:

# emerge -1v openproj

I have only tried to open a Microsoft Project file so far (successfully), but it looks like OpenProj could be a viable alternative to Microsoft Project, although I notice the source code is unchanged since October 2008 (but possibly that does not matter).

Serena Software wrote:OpenProj is a free, open source project management solution. OpenProj is a replacement of Microsoft Project and other commercial project solutions. The OpenProj solution has been download more than 1,250,000 times in the few months since launch and is being used in over 142 countries. A free download of OpenProj is available here and is distributed under the CPAL license. OpenProj is ideal for desktop project management and is available on Linux, Unix, Mac or Windows. It even opens existing Microsoft or Primavera files. OpenProj shares the industry's most advanced scheduling engine with Project-ON-Demand and provides Gantt Charts, Network Diagrams (PERT Charts), WBS and RBS charts, Earned Value costing and more. There is literally no time or effort involved in switching to OpenProj, and your teams can manage projects on any platform for free. Projity worked closely with leaders in the commercial and open source industries in preparation for the release of OpenProj. It is a welcome addition, not only for project management users, but also for users in all software segments. Microsoft Project retails for $999.99, is installed on 7% of all Office desktops and drives over $1 billion in revenue for Microsoft. OpenProj fills an important gap in the desktop market, as a key component in the Office family of products now has a replacement available on Linux, Unix, Mac or Windows. OpenProj was also selected for inclusion with Star Office suite boxes in Europe. The OpenProj solution has been translated into French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Swedish, Finnish, Galician, Persian, Russian, Korean and Chinese.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: FOSS alternative to Microsoft Project [Solved]

Postby Rock » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56

I too am looking for an MS Project alternative. I find MS Project too expensive for my project management so I research some alternatives to it and found this blog: http://www.timedoctor.com/blog/2011/02/02/43-project-management-software-alternatives I've opened the spreadsheet and saw its features which I can compare to other software packages. I'll definitely try basecamp and your suggestion which is OpenProj. They are two of the software packages which I hear mostly in forums and blogs. Thanks!
Rock
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:15

^Way to go, Mr spammer Time Doctor/Basecamp marketing man. I think I'll stick to the FOSS applications listed in http://www.tuxradar.com/content/group-t ... t-planners
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Toby12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:06

OpenProj got the title as the best desktop replacement for MS Project. It's an open source project management software package that has the same features of MS Project and can open MS Project files. dotProject is another software package that is web-based and has the same features of MS Project but has project management functionality.

We tried both but it never satisfied our needs. Instead, we use another software package called Latitude (http://www.latibiz.com/) that works better to manage our projects.
Toby12
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:19

^Another spammer! :roll: I suppose I should have seen it coming when I posted about an alternative to an expensive and well-known product.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General