Tuxguitar 1.1 in Sabayon 4.1 KDE, a method that works

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Tuxguitar 1.1 in Sabayon 4.1 KDE, a method that works

Postby carltonh » Sat May 02, 2009 20:04

So I just switched my main laptop to Sabayon 4.1 KDE from Ubuntu 8.10 and had to have Tuxguitar. Searching the forums yielded way too old advice. Tuxguitar had a newer version, Sabayon now has entropy and KDE 4, and the main Gentoo portage repository doesn't have it, and a portage repository overlay that has it had an ebuild of only an older version probably not integrated with KDE 4 anyway, and besides a mediocre-poor understanding of portage and ebuilds, I'm not sure how they are currently integrated in Sabayon. The Sabayon wiki seems out of date when I read articles that predate any mention of entropy. The articles might have worked, but I was afraid to try Gentoo methods. I also don't know how you run source packages in entropy. I saw some post or wiki that said to make the directory where the file is into a repository, but that just seemed insanely inefficient. I assume there is a way to just install a file from source without it being in a repository though entropy?

So I downloaded the binary file from here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/tuxgui ... x86.tar.gz and I chose to install it into /usr/bin just in case I wanted to use it under multiple users. The website says that file only needed a Java runtime environment, so I downloaded sun-jdk through entropy. That let it start, but when opening a file, it gave me the warning that there was no midi system. I installed Timidity++ through entropy, and sure enough, it works great now.

I put in a package request for TuxGuitar. Note that installing Timidity++ pulled in the "arts" package from KDE 3.5.10. I'm sure there is a KDE4 method for playing midi now?
Young Hen

Re: Tuxguitar 1.1 in Sabayon 4.1 KDE, a method that works

Postby Thev00d00 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:36

File a request on the bugzilla (http://bugs.sabayonlinux.org) to get it added to the overlay. Include a link to the old ebuild and a link to the version you want
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Generally Awesome (tm)

Return to Software in General