Can't get firefox or thunderbird to run.

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Can't get firefox or thunderbird to run.

Postby leobing » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:20

My computer is an HP triple core at 2100mhz with 3 gigs ram and 2 320 gig hds.
I do not have anything Microslop on my computers.

I have been having quite a time getting Firefox and Thunderbird to open when I click on them. I installed Thunderbird with emerge also. It won't come up when I click on the icon.
When I install Sabayon from 3.51 or Sabayon 4 firefox works in the live version. Once I install the os to the hard drive I can no longer get Firefox to open up when I click on the icon.
I checked and using menu editor I find that it is using: /usr/bin/firefox-bin and /usr/bin/thunderbird-bin.
I tried changing it to: /usr/bin/firefox and same for thunderbird to /usr/bin/thunderbird. That did not help.
If I use file manager and go to /usr/bin/firefox or /usr/firefox-bin, I get to run Firefox but this way it ignores the files in: /home/leo/mozilla etc where I want to restore my mail etc. to.
With the other distros i use I never have a problem. I am running Vector 6 right now and there was no problem with Firefox or Thunderbird.
I also have Slackware on my computer and there is no problem there and Mepis 8 also works fine. Ubuntu is hopeless as it won't find my 22" monitor so to make it work I have to bugger around too much and the results are not worth the effort. I really like Sabayon and would really like to use it. I do want thunderbird as I have /home/leo etc backed up and I can put the mail etc into where I need it to work with the new OS version.
LINUX, no virus, no worms, no spy ware, no charge, so why Windows?
< running Linux > VE7UW/VE7OKV
leobing
Baby Hen

Re: Can't get firefox or thunderbird to run.

Postby joost » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:31

I'd try this as root:

Code: Select all
equo update && equo install entropy

Not sure if you have it installed the "bin" version but try:
equo remove mozilla-firefox-bin

equo install mozilla-firefox

If it still doesn't work do a deptest:
equo deptest

if it still doesn't work, please try to run /usr/bin/firefox as normal user from a terminal and see what error you get
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby leobing » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35

I have fixed things in a way but not the way I wanted to.
I reinstalled Sabayon 4 and emerged thunderbird.
After doing this I clicked on firefox and it works.
I clicked on thunderbird and it also works.
What I had been doing with other distros was to save /home/leo to another hard drive.
I would then after making sure firefox and thunderbird worked as to copy the saved files to the newly installed Sabayon.
IN all the other Distro, this worked just fine.
All my mail, usenet, and settings for Firefox and Thunderbird would be in and working.
Doing this copying from the saved /home/leo screwed things up so I could not get them to run by clicking on them.
This time I manually set all the setting I use in Firefox and thunderbird and this is what I have now.
Both Firefox and Thunderbird come up by clicking and my settings are as I like them.
It was a lot more work and If I have to reinstall Sabayon, I will be back to having all this work to do.
By the way; I have never heard of the "equo" command. I thank you for pointing it out to me.
I just might reinstall Sabayon to another partition and see how I can use it to fix things after I have done the copying of the saved files like I do in the other distros I have.
Thanks much for the reply to my query.
LINUX, no virus, no worms, no spy ware, no charge, so why Windows?
< running Linux > VE7UW/VE7OKV
leobing
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:43

leobing wrote:What I had been doing with other distros was to save /home/leo to another hard drive.
I would then after making sure firefox and thunderbird worked as to copy the saved files to the newly installed Sabayon.
IN all the other Distro, this worked just fine.
All my mail, usenet, and settings for Firefox and Thunderbird would be in and working.

That is the way I work in Sabayon and, for me, it does work. I copy my .mozilla and .thunderbird folders (and also back them up to CD - just in case), run Firefox and Thunderbird in the new installation and then just copy all the contents of the saved profile folders into the new profile folders - overwriting all. The only time I had a problem was when the permissions of the saved folders were wrong so I always check them first.

Pleased you got it working eventually.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General