A Mozilla conundrum [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

A Mozilla conundrum [Solved]

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 21:39

Since getting my new system set up I have found both Firefox and Thunderbird to be very slow in loading. Performance is perfectly OK once loaded but the delay in starting is irritating. Each takes about 9 to 10 seconds to load (may not sound much but it is by today's standards). Other programmes take a second or two or less (even open office writer only takes 3!). I wondered if it was because of the number of addons so renamed my .mozilla folder, let Firefox create a new one, and then tested it again several times - each time it took about 9 seconds to open. I tried with compiz turned off - no difference. I tested my girlfriend's Firefox (my old PC also with Sabayon 4) and it took about 1 second. So it seems to be my PC. Out of curiosity, I installed the Windows version of Firefox 3.0.7 using wine and it takes 1 second to load - I did the same with Thunderbird and got the same result. Starting either Firefox or Thunderbird from konsole gives no error message (just a long delay) and there are no xsession errors. Any ideas anyone?

Sabayon 4 x86 r1 (fully updated) running kernel 2.6.28 and KDE 4.2.1
Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Core 2 duo E8400 3.0Ghz 4.00 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT 512MB RAM Dell S2309 23" widescreen monitor 1920x1080 @60Hz
Samsung HD 642JJ ATA 650 GB Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200 S ATA TST DVD ROM TS-H353B ATA
MS USB Dual receiver wirelss keyboard and mouse Onboard Realtek Audio
Last edited by dunsurfin on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:37, edited 3 times in total.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: A Mozilla conundrum

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Mar 23, 2009 16:58

It could be video card driver related as weard as that sounds.
Could be 3d acceleration as well try to set it to off / kill 3d accel. and after updating the video card drivers off and on and see if any different.

The delay could be Java related as java can take some time to load.

Firefox has a bad habit of calling home first and then it's DNS at Moz.....org and then google.com so all of this with a slow dns in your wifi router can slow things down as well but this happens in win / lin / osx. Google then loads a lot of unfriendly stuff that can be regarded as security risk but then what they do not know yet or sold to someone else yet they will eventually find and sell off "info" , so no big deal there.

- Check you video card drivers and see if they are any good.

Also run glxgears before and after video card driver update to see if there is any improvements.
Also set the opengl settings see Wolfden's recent World Update post for this.

- Check your networking and dns "/etc/resolv.conf" either with ping or dslreports.com/stest or speedtest.net and then edit / change to say verizon / opendns 4.2.2.1/5 / 208.67.220/2.220/2

In firefox you can also give the connection a bit of speed boost by editing the firefox config.
in the http bar / adress bar type
about:config
Next yes to change and stupid questions it ask's .

Now type
pipe
into next adress type bar below where http usually is.

Set all 2 or 3 pipe options to true by double clicking them.

Then reload your web page say http://www.cnn.com or something you know is slow and see the speed increase.

You could also use a proxy in firefox but they can be hit or miss and can get overloaded at times. The DNS and proxy just compensates for your ISP's poorly configured dns and connection congestion. 99% of isp's most persons are using either do not have the money / skill or time to tweak their connections to work properly and so waist time fixing things that is not broken , this bypasses most of that defects.

Lastly make sure all software is Kosher/halaal ie: run equo deptest and equo libtest and fix where needed.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 20:19

Thank for all the suggestions WarraWarra.
I doubt that it's the video card driver as there have been at least and possibly 3 video driver updates while this has been happening (my glxgears results are pretty good) and I'm sure it's not network related as the wine/firefox and wine/thunderbird open very, very quickly (with the same home page etc.) and, once they're running, both Firefox and Thunderbird perform very well. It's just that initial start-up time.
I did set the pipe option to true as you suggested and there is a small increase in speed of loading some pages - but not with the initial opening of the programme.

I haven't done the deptest and libtest but am about to do them now.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 21:01

I've now run deptest and libtest. Deptest just installed 2 pieces of rubbish (only my opinion :) ) that I'd removed (Elisa and Noatun). Libtest came up with these results:
>> @@ Libraries/Executables statistics:
>> ## Not matched:
>> => /usr/bin/kvm
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/ardour-2.7.1
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/libardour.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/libardour_cp.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/libgtkmm2ext.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/libmidi++.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/librubberband.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/libardour_genericmidi.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/libardour_mackie.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/libardour_powermate.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/surfaces/libardour_tranzport.so
>> => /usr/lib/ardour2/vamp/libardourvampplugins.so
>> => /usr/lib/kde3/libamarok_ipod-mediadevice.so
>> => /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/components/libbrowsercomps.so
>> => /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/libvlcplugin.so
>> => /usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.0/program/stocservices.uno.so
>> => /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/plugins/libnullplugin.so
>> => /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/plugins/libunixprintplugin.so
>> => /usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins/libnullplugin.so
>> => /usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins/libunixprintplugin.so
>> ## Matched:

There is one mention of firefox there but nothing about thunderbird so I doubt if that is the cause.

How does one go about matching the unmatched?

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:33

Unmatched , last time I did this it fixed all automatically but check the equo wiki part if someone does not post a quick fix here.

You could try to run top and check dmesg before and after launching firefox and thunderbird as there might be a mention of a error or something you can get hold of to research to find the bug.
Could also try to downgrade to say 2.0.0.20 and see how it does, will see what I can find as java should only load if needed same with flash, firefox might try to empty trash or check a file / encryption something on each load that could slow it down.

Best is to post it to firefox / mozilla bugs / forums.
How is the speed on the live dvd if good then it should be same on hd and possibly see what it loads or dependancy's / version versus your installed as likely they firefox / thunderbird relies on the same problem / slow down software / extensions or add-on's.

Have to compare good with bad and see what is similar and what's different to find the problem as SL is stable so problem is limited to Mozilla.

I wonder if the same ff + th has problems in other linux distro's.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:04

I shall mark this as "solved" because the problem has just disappeared. The only difference has been last night's upgrade of the xine-lib to 1.1.16.2! I suppose there is a connection. The main point though is that both Firefox and Thunderbird open quickly now.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: A Mozilla conundrum [Solved]

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Mar 28, 2009 15:51

Can you possibly try to install to say virtualbox or vmware and see if you get the same results and then also update to the same xine-lib .
Maybe if you could exclude xine-lib until ready to duplicate this error and only have it remaining as last update to be updated.

Then if the same might be able to post to mozzilla bugs , will have to check dates on xine-lib for update as it might if recently added to tree update by default.

Seems that it has been downloaded more than 3400 times the xine-lib 1.1.16 (4.0) so I wonder why it would not have updated by default or with deptest or libtest or any other equo update until now.
(3.5) still has 1.1.14 .
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby tekwyzrd » Sat Mar 28, 2009 19:18

I installed Sabayon4 about 12 hours after it's release. For me, after a fresh install of the original Sabayon4 and equo world, firefox became very slow to load pages for the first ten minutes or so after starting. Loading yahoo took 30 to 60 seconds, typical of all pages I went to. After installing the latest updates last night including the new kernel (2.6.29) and the associated nvidia driver, firefox is performing like it did before the problems started.
Former Sabayon user (2005 - 2013) and current Arch user.
I liked Sabayon until it switched to Rigo and becoming the gentoo equivalent of Ubuntu. Extreme browsing? Extreme gaming? Extreme work? Extreme development? Like, totally gnarly, dude!
tekwyzrd
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 16:56

WarraWarra wrote:Can you possibly try to install to say virtualbox or vmware and see if you get the same results and then also update to the same xine-lib .
Maybe if you could exclude xine-lib until ready to duplicate this error and only have it remaining as last update to be updated.

I'm afraid that's not possible at the moment. My phone line has developed a fault and my normal 6.7 Mbps is hovering around 0.3 Mbps. This would make the updates necessary to a vanilla Sabayon 4 x86 r1 unbearable :(

There is also the point that a VirtualBox install wouldn't mimic my current setup.

I have kept this system updated via Entropy from the moment it was installed and the xine-lib update only appeared in the tree on 27th. March.

I am putting the whole thing down to a "Dirk Gently" moment :)

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40

I've removed the [Solved] as the problem has resurfaced after this morning's upgrades.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Software in General