No sound with PulseAudio 9.14

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

No sound with PulseAudio 9.14

Postby joshi.rohya » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:59

Hi,

I recently installed Sabayon 4 LiteMCE (x86_64) my first encounter with Sabayon and a Gentoo based OS. The Installation went quite well and everything was working fine, but while updating (PulseAudio 9.14, pavcontrol, devchooser, pavman)my system using Spritz I was playing music through audacious and for some reason the it was choppy (I suppose it was cause was using Alsa and not PulseAudio, which i found out later on), was back to normal once the update was done, I restarted and chhecked the devchooser for pulse audio and it was connected to the server but the output device for playback or sink was set to "NULL OUTPUT" while capture device was set correctly to HDA NVidia.

I "killall pulseaudio" and "pulseaudio -nC" and it said "failed to load module-alsa-sink"

How can I set the correct output device as default Sink for pulseaudio.

Also I cant c the sound preferences for gnome where we can set the event sounds (login, logoff, click, delete, etc)

Thanks for your Help.

Rohit Joshi
joshi.rohya
Baby Hen

Re: No sound with PulseAudio 9.14

Postby xlnagla » Fri Mar 06, 2009 17:08

Being a kde user myself and not familiar with gnome, I fear I don't know where to find your sound preferences.

But as for your pulseaudio issues, check here : http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/PulseAudio#Configuration - it may help you out.

In general, pulseaudio will not lose any of your hardware sinks from version to version - especially if all your modules are up to date and properly compiled, as you can be realtively sure they were with entropy. It is however common for a pulseaduio update to accidentally knock pulseaudio off the autostart list, especially if pulseaudio had to be killed during the update and was then restarted manually. If this happens, then any app that wants to use the soundcard will bypass pulseaudio completely and monopolize your card, making it impossible for any application, including pulseaudio, to use the card. This may be what happened to you when you tried to restart your sound server.

So try restarting the computer in order to kill any process that may be hogging the soundcard, and launch pulseaudio as your user from a tty before logging in. If it still fails, that means you do indeed have a library or configuration issue. If it works fine, then you just had an app monopolizing your soundcard before. Also, be sure you check to make sure pulseaudio isn't running before you start it - if you start a second instance of pulseaudio, even if the first one is defunct, you'll see a ton of error messages regarding failed sinks, failed priorities, and stale PID files.

As a final addendum - I personally no longer use pulseaudio, as I found it not nearly good enough for my needs. I use jack-audio-connection-kit, which is a similar sound server, and it works wonderfully, especially with the tool qjackctl to configure it on-the-fly and in gui mode. It takes a little while to set up on a Sabayon machine, but once it works you'll love it ever more than pulseaudio. If you want to go this route let me know.

Hope some of this helps,
~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby joshi.rohya » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:38

Hi,

Just got back from my weekend trip, ok Jack Audio connection kit... ok will try out, if u can pooint me to a Howto, that would be helpful.

Thanks a lot...

Regards,

Rohit Joshi
joshi.rohya
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:47

equo install qjackctl should work. Check these out for more guides:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/s ... altime.xml
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK

~xlnagla
xlnagla