xbmc video playback problems

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

xbmc video playback problems

Postby quotaholic » Fri Feb 27, 2009 17:44

Sabayon 4.1 lite mce install with no 3d. Athlon 64 x2 5600 on a msi k9agm2 with ati x1250. VGA to Samsung lcd monitor, mini stereo plugs to home theater preamp/ processor, 4 gigs of ram, 1tb drive, 128 latency pci buffer set, 256 mb video memory shared auto ram timing.

My problem is that while watching 720p mkv files the video freezes for 4 to five seconds quite incrementally. While its not that bad at the beginning of the movie by ten minutes in it freezes every ten to fifteen seconds. I know what your thinking but mplayer plays the files just fine. I looked in to removing pulse audio as I read one person had success smoothing video playback by removing pulse. It seems that its integrated in to everything so I decided to ask here. I have a machine capable of 1080P smoohly. Why does xbmc freeze every ten seconds while playing video? I have tried every buffer setting available.

I posted here before with a sony tv as my display. My video card and that tv do not play well together so I launched the tv. I am preparing to purchase a flat panel but wanted to use a samsung monitor I had laying around in the mean time. On my last install of 4mce I had to kill all 3d effects in order to get video to even think about playing smooth. This install has no 3d but the problem is here again with a new install.

I read somewhere Fabio's own words saying we need to concentrate on keeping the mce edition lightweight. If this is true how come there are cpu intensive eye candy effects included? Any idea's would be appreciated.

Baby Hen

Re: xbmc video playback problems

Postby xlnagla » Fri Mar 06, 2009 17:26

'tis strange indeed - I haven't heard of something like this before, but I doubt it's pulseaudio - pulseaudio wouldn't have an incremental effect, just a static freeze rate, so to speak. You could always try killing the pulse process and just have xbmc use your soundcard directly, it's possible (though unlikely) that that was your error. I'm sure a few people who have computers that can even begin to approach 1080p and ran into this problem before will respond soon. I'm no expert in this field, but perhaps you need to enable acceleration on your video card? If the playback previously worked when you had compiz but disabled it, and now doesn't when you chose to go without eye candy from the start, the fact that you never had compiz-like effects enabled in the first place may have something to do with your errror. As far as I know, the only thing choosing "acceleration-enabled" Sabayon does is load compiz at boot and uncomment the acceleration-related lines in your xorg.conf.

As for liteMCE being lite, we meant app-lite; not filled with bloatware, extra DEs, or multiple programs with the same purpose. Compiz can always be disabled, or just installed without.

Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General