DVD Burning Software That Targets More Than 1 Drive?

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

DVD Burning Software That Targets More Than 1 Drive?

Postby ditchmagnet » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:52

I am looking for software that will have the same effect of a stand alone DVD dupicator. I want to have 5 DVD burners on a system, and be able to target all of them at once. Is there any software that can do that? Linux prefered, but if windows, thats ok too.
ditchmagnet
Young Hen

Re: DVD Burning Software That Targets More Than 1 Drive?

Postby xlnagla » Fri Mar 06, 2009 17:50

K3B might be able to. If not, let me know and I'll make one, though it will only work if your DVD drives are identified as /dev/srx.

[edit] - actually I went ahead and wrote a little script to do this. Copy the below code into a file - let's call it multiburn.sh. Save the file anywhere, and then open a command line.

chmod a+x [file]
./[file] <fullly qualified file path>

the above means make the file executable, and then explains the usage of this script. For example, let's say I want to burn the iso file backup.iso and I've named the script multiburn.sh. the syntax to do that would be:

./multiburn.sh /home/xlnagla/backup.iso

This will then attempt to use all of your disc drives to burn the file, and should start them all up at the same time.

I always burn things as root, just out of habit. It should theoretically work as any user.

~xlnagla

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
counter=0
file_path=$1

for foo
in `ls /dev/sr*`
do
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z $foo=$file_path &
counter=`expr $counter + 1`
done
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Fri Mar 06, 2009 20:52

K3b recognizes, but i have in mind that, if the CD-ROMs are IDE, one comp only may have a limit of 4 IDES devices.....
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby xlnagla » Fri Mar 06, 2009 22:01

albfneto raises a good point - make sure you've got ata drives before going and replacing the one that doesn't work - max of 4 ide devices. Though I assume they all work, otherwise your question wouldn't be "how do I use all 5 at once," it would be "why isn't my 5th drive working?" If that question was about to arise, well then that's why.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General