Good karaoke software

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Good karaoke software

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:38

I've finally, thanks to a blog link (TECH SOURCE FROM BOHOL) on tuxmachines.org, found a karaoke player that supports diacritics, so now I can play .mid and .kar karaoke files and see the lyrics in full, accents and all. Much better than KMid, which does not support diacritics or international characters (Cyrillic etc.).

The package is called PyKaraoke (Python Powered Karaoke) and you can read about it on its home page http://www.kibosh.org/pykaraoke/

To install PyKaraoke in SL or Gentoo, I had to do the following:

Add the following line to /etc/make.conf:

Code: Select all
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

Then do:

emerge -1v timidity-eawpatches
USE="mp3 timidity" emerge -1v sdl-mixer
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/media-sound/pykaraoke

Then I downloaded the ebuild file pykaraoke-0.4.1.ebuild from the Gentoo Bugzilla Report No. 137415 and copied it to /usr/local/portage/media-sound/pykaraoke/pykaraoke-0.6.ebuild (notice that I renamed it).

Then I downloaded the file pykaraoke-0.6.zip from the Download page of the above-mentioned Web site and copied it to the directory /usr/portage/distfiles/

Then I did an:

emerge -1v pykaraoke

and a PyKaraoke icon was automatically added to K Menu > Applications > Multimedia, so I can launch it from that or just enter the command pykaraoke at the command line.

I already had the Timidity MIDI player installed, but I suppose you need to have this installed too for PyKaraoke to work:

emerge -1v timidity++

Nice!

(BTW, sdl-mixer was already installed when I installed SL, but I was getting the message "Error opening file. <class 'pygame.error'> Module format not recognized" from PyKaraoke when I tried to play a .mid or .kar file. It was because sdl-mixer had been compiled without the timidity USE flag, hence the recompile of sdl-mixer shown above.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General