Avidemux shows very poor perfomance

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Avidemux shows very poor perfomance

Postby Tvin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15

Avidemux codes films (avi into avi with internal subs and logos, xvid codec) with very poor perfomance. It needs 4 times later than it codes under Mandriva 2009.0 or Windows Vista with the same options :(

Sabayon 4 x64, AMD X2 6000+.
Tvin
Simple Hen

Re: Avidemux shows very poor perfomance

Postby frisil » Thu Jan 15, 2009 14:31

Are you sure it's with the same film? I've noticed that the time avidemux takes to re-encode seems to be completely random, only depending on how the film is encoded or what kind of pictures are in it, not on format or length.

I've hardsubbed 90 minute films (with options "same quantizer as input") within 30 minutes, while others took over 3 hours! This happens also with Debian and Pardus, two other OSs I'm using frequently.

So if you want to compare how avidemux performs on different distributions, encode the exact same film-file with the exact same options, or you can't compare it at all.

However, if you already did that, there is something wrong...
frisil
Young Hen

Postby Tvin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:51

frisil wrote:Are you sure it's with the same film? I've noticed that the time avidemux takes to re-encode seems to be completely random, only depending on how the film is encoded or what kind of pictures are in it, not on format or length.

I've hardsubbed 90 minute films (with options "same quantizer as input") within 30 minutes, while others took over 3 hours! This happens also with Debian and Pardus, two other OSs I'm using frequently.

So if you want to compare how avidemux performs on different distributions, encode the exact same film-file with the exact same options, or you can't compare it at all.

However, if you already did that, there is something wrong...
Yes, of course, the same film :( It looks like two core processor works as one core or it works with low priority, lacks threads or something like that.

May be, I have to emerge xvid, avidemux with special USE flag? Or reassemble the kernel with some options... I'm using entropy version for now. And this problem is the last what does not give me chance to use Sabayon only :) But I want to, because Sabayon is very handsome distro.

The same thing was in 3,5 Sabayon too.
Tvin
Simple Hen

Postby frisil » Fri Jan 23, 2009 13:29

Okay, same movie, I see. I also tried it and you're right, but after working with Sabayon4 for some time, I think it's not an Avidemux problem, but a general issue. I copied the binaries of Avidemux from Sidux to Sabayon (runs much faster on Sidux) but to no avail, the Sidux version is as slow as the Sabayon one when running under Sabayon.

So it's a system issue, and not the only, IMHO Sabayon4 shows a very poor performance in general! When I unpack huge rar archives, program starts slow down and the system becomes almost unusable while unrar is working, even with 4 CPUs!

Well, we have a nice Linux here, 3d, nvidia, compiz and games work out of box and completely perfect (I've never seen any better compiz performance on any linux, Sabayon is the only one that seems almost bug-free here) but on the downside, there are a lot of problems with SIMPLE thing: ark broken, k3b broken, auto-shutdown completion a matter of luck, hostname not send to server in nfs, slow avidemux, unrar and other programs doinig a lot of calculations...
frisil
Young Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 13:48

Maybe you guys should report these issues? This way you can help make sabayon even better!

Post reports on http://bugs.sabayonlinux.org with as much info as you can (logs, console ouput, kernel versions, drivers versions etc)

:D
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby frisil » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:43

Thev00d00 wrote:Maybe you guys should report these issues? This way you can help make sabayon even better!

Post reports on http://bugs.sabayonlinux.org with as much info as you can (logs, console ouput, kernel versions, drivers versions etc)

:D

But how do I report something like this? If I file a bug report saying "Sabayon4 is slow as hell" or "poor system performance in general" people will think I'm trolling! And I'm not, I like Sabayon4 even if it's slow, because it's the only 64 Bit Linux to work properly on my new computer.
frisil
Young Hen

Postby Tvin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 17:17

Recompile glibc (I mean: 'emerge -ua glibc') with special for your system USE-flags (also, you may recompile xvid, avidemux and so on) and avidemux will fly as it must fly on modern system :)
Tvin
Simple Hen

Postby albfneto » Fri Mar 06, 2009 22:24

some peolple in net, said that, compiled avidemux, with flags special for your system, may have better performance, than the binary avidemux.
for select the flags, you may search "avidemux in gentoo" and recompile avidemux, with suitable flags...
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby Tvin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 16:21

albfneto wrote:some peolple in net, said that, compiled avidemux, with flags special for your system, may have better performance, than the binary avidemux.
for select the flags, you may search "avidemux in gentoo" and recompile avidemux, with suitable flags...
Reemerging only avidemux and codecs will not bring proper speed. I did it myself and there was no effect. Maybe one, two fps more :) You have to reemerge glibc and then avidemux and it is the key to speed it up under Sabayon 4.
Tvin
Simple Hen

Return to Software in General