kde intergration and big irritations

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

kde intergration and big irritations

Postby mikey0000 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:37

Hello there

I have recently been dealing with a linux computer that was setup in an office in an orchard with Xandros which was so old it had kde 3.2 on it however that may have been a decision by xandros (who knows why) but anyway i found i couldnt upgrade anything being close to debian but not quite there and all the k3b binaries where compiled against kde 3.5 a few days later ive made a copy of the original and tried to upgrade to kde 3.5 no luck everything went haywire, so i decided well lets work with what i know and trust to be a great all round distro "Sabayon!!" so out comes my 3.5 dvd and on it goes, so far so good, im pleased and everything seems to go. I do all the usual .copying files etc. Cool. this place needs dial up as broadband wnt reach there. Pulling up kde's kppp it seg faults on dial, i eventually corner it to glibc, ok not kde's fault, carrying on it still fails....strange everything is setup...alot of google searching later i find out that some blank feilds in the modem commands button is causing it and all they have is " we should really fix that some time" this all in kde 3.5.9

I would think after all this time kde would have everything working well.

Now if i were to make a program and after who knows how many revisions as a self respecting person would make it atleast usable to an idiot or anyone who doesnt want to read a 20 page manual on how modems receive commands.
So im being made to look like a fool and making linux look like a heap o' junk to these people.

2nd big problem, though not so hard, cups configuration through kde is completely wrong! and outdated (this may have a deeper reason) but overall when i install xp for 1 dial up does actually work and doesnt seg fault and the printing configuration is actually up to date (even if xp is ancient) got fixed by copying another config from the net

all this leaves me wondering how anyone can think that a kde or linux desktop is usable out of the box or Noob friendly, grandma friendly, enterprise friendly. I hear it all the time, linux is a better desktop option than windows, but i fail to see why when on a simple install the most basic requirements for a working desktop fail.

i also had a problem with a winmodem but gave away an external 1 to solve the problem as the scripts for the driver (for the winmodem) werent working and i didn't want to waste time.

this also got me thinking about testing distros before release and update systems(obvously spritz is perfect for solving release issues) and also because linux is essentually just the kernel why no one has made a commercial desktop for linux, or finer intergration of base components so foo doesnt break when foobar is above version *** and all that kind of problem, im also guessing that would save hours of testing for distro makers.

this is just my thoughts and im interested to see what people think, also in the end after endless hours i got everything working and mysql provided through equo has issues or you need to change you pc name to something other than localhost as the next up 5.0.70 tells you that.
triple Booting Mac-osx 10.6, Sabayon Linux and Windows 7

2.5 athlon dual core
DFI infinity mobo
2 gb of DDR2 800 G skill ram 3.3.3.12
nvidia 9600gt
housed in a thermaltake taser III case with 7 fans - all turned off lol
mikey0000
Growing Hen

Re: kde intergration and big irritations

Postby mikey0000 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:38

Oh and i said stuff this to kppp and emerged gnome ppp which just worked.

2.5 athlon dual core
DFI infinity mobo
nvidia 9600gt
mikey0000
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:18

hmmmmmm, bottom line, one has to use what they need to use.

Linux isn't for everyone. It does take some setting up, but than again, any OS can and will need setting up. Some have great troubles with microsoft also. As time goes on in windows world, things stop working and you are forced to update.

3.5 packagess are getting old, many updates have happened in the world of linux since than. 3.5.1 came out to help with that.

Everyone's mileage is going to vary with any piece of software.

Gaming is also easier in windows. I find nothing wrong with dual booting. I don't understand people that come into irc ranting and raving how they hate microsoft and never want to use it again. That just baffles me, I find it very useful at times. Linux is my main desktop tho.

Everything has their glitches and if it all works in the end, all is good.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby mikey0000 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:12

fair comment. I very much agree, it would however be nice if the more basic operations worked, im sure it doesnt take that long to fix and would make many more people oh so much more happier. Because of all the different problems i have with Windows. Linux and mac i boot them all! I tend to destroy linux alot by playing with things (currently stuffed it up trying to load git wireless drivers for my rt2500pci card as the kernel ones have a bug which limits speed to 300kbits and lags like mad) Im gonna be using the mac for terminal and java programming and all adobe based stuff and windows will be games and email currently as it will sync with my phone.

Best of all worlds :P also looking at playing with skyos

2.5 athlon dual core
DFI infinity mobo
nvidia 9600gt
mikey0000
Growing Hen

Return to Software in General