Tuxguitar has no sound?

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Tuxguitar has no sound?

Postby soloingbastard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 23:38

Hey, having recentley installed sabayon 3.5.1, i've found that the program tuxguitar, which i use extensively for learning guitar pieces, no longer has a functioning sound output. Im unsure as to why this is and would appreciate and help hugely.
Any ideas as to how to fix this?
soloingbastard
Young Hen

Re: Tuxguitar has no sound?

Postby xlnagla » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:05

I'd imagine it has something to do with which audioservers you have running - popular options are jack and arts. You can use the program eix to discover which Tuxguitar was built with, and then ensure that it is running and functioning before you start up Tuxguitar, and you should have sound.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby soloingbastard » Wed Dec 10, 2008 20:56

im pretty sure its alsa, but im unsure as to how to make that work more effectively. A past solution was to install midi and use that as a sequencer, became useless as soon as more than one instrument played, was overloaded and repeatedly went out of time. Any ideas?
soloingbastard
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:30

If I mixed terms I apologize - alsa isn't quite what I meant. Alsa is a sound architecture, which can interface with different sounds servers like jack and arts. A lot of midi-based applications don't work well ootb because the server they like isn't the server that's currently "plugged in." If you can determine which interface Tuxguitar wants to use as its midi processor and sound server, then we can make sure that one works and hopefully remove your problem. Midi sequencers that can interface directly with alsa will in effect replace the role of jack/arts, but they're going to handle multiple inputs very badly, as I'm sure you've seen.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby soloingbastard » Fri Dec 12, 2008 14:54

sounds great. Is there any way you could point me to a turtorial or program with instructions of some sort, that would allow me to deal with this problem? Because im unable to see from what you've been saying how to turn your ideas into reality.
thanks.
soloingbastard
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Fri Dec 12, 2008 18:05

install eix through either emerge or equo/spritz, run "update-eix", and then run eix tuxguitar. That should spit you back a list of USE flags. Post back here if you see arts or jack on that list (please note not -arts or -jack). If there's nothing on the list to that effect you could always try running it from a command line to see if the debug messages give you any info.

When you determine which sound server is necessary, just start the right one - if it's arts it should launch at startup (but barring that can be launched just by invoking artsd with some arguments), if it's jack then you can actually plug it into arts - see this thread

http://readlist.com/lists/lists.debian.org/debian-user/7/39753.html

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General