iTunes 8 on Sabayon

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

iTunes 8 on Sabayon

Postby jiminez » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:07

Is it possible to emerge wine with more 32 bit library support on 64 bit Sabayon without too much trouble?

Aside from the "Why would you want to do that comments".... All I have to say is iPod iPhone and audible.com can't be beat.

I modified an ebuild of wine to add the EA Durbin Itunes hack and emerged it. I was able to successfully run iTunes!!
I am curious how close I can get to syncing my iPod/iPhone now. It seems when wine was running the ./configure it noted missing 32 bit libraries for several things. hal was one of them and I would like to get some info from someone who knows how I might get those 32bit libraries installed so I can re-emerge wine with support for those things.

For those who stumble across this and wonder how to get this far keep in mind that it is not recommended to mix use of portage and entropy.

Here is how to do it:

http://linuxreviews.org/gentoo/ebuilds/

I edited the ebuild and added:
epatch "${FILESDIR}"/wine-itunes.patch
after an existing line that started with epatch.

and created the /usr/local/portage/app-emulation/wine/files/wine-itunes.patch file with the following content:
--- dlls/msi/action.c 2008-11-08 19:30:58.000000000 -0500
+++ dlls/msi/action.c 2008-11-08 19:37:04.000000000 -0500
@@ -867,7 +867,9 @@

if (rc != ERROR_SUCCESS)
ERR("Execution halted, action %s returned %i\n", debugstr_w(action), rc);
-
+/* ITUNES 8 INSTALL HACK */
+if( rc == 1603 )
+rc = ERROR_SUCCESS;
return rc;
}

@@ -4712,7 +4714,8 @@
LPWSTR args;
DWORD event, numargs;
UINT r = ERROR_FUNCTION_FAILED;
-
+/* ITUNES 8 INSTALL HACK */
+return ERROR_SUCCESS;
comp = get_loaded_component(package, MSI_RecordGetString(rec, 6));
if (!comp || comp->Action == INSTALLSTATE_UNKNOWN || comp->Action == INSTALLSTATE_ABSENT)
return ERROR_SUCCESS;

Sabayon 3.5.1 amd64
Jose
jiminez
Baby Hen

Re: iTunes 8 on Sabayon

Postby wolfden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:55

Is it still limited tho, like itunes store doesn't work as itunes does work with wine already, but limited in abilitie??

As far as building wine with more support, that would have to probably be address with winehq devs.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby jiminez » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:12

I am not looking for more functionality from wine. I am actually looking for more 32 bit libraries. You can see what I am talking about just by taking a standard 3.5.1 sabayon system and emerging wine. At the end of the config it lists some functionality that will not be included because of missing 32 bit libraries.

Functionality... Well, I haven't finished messing with it yet, but it is more than just an install that worked. I can play music, browse my album art with coverflow, browse the iTunes Music store.

I can shop the iTunes store, but when I tried to get the free single of the week it told me the store was busy (I have only tried today, so maybe it was)

I can play my non-DRM music so far. I haven't copied over my iTunes library from windows yet to test.

It definitely looks promising.
jiminez
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:59

Good news for a lot of people that is for sure. I can't believe there hasn't been something better yet for linux users. I'm not a user of it myself, but it's a question that is asked all the time.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Dec 03, 2008 13:54

I think you might find it in wine-doors under all software there is a few more options than in wine.

Apple uses free bsd with a few excuses to make it work so there should be source code for itunes that can be ported or somethign that can be twealed instead of going via wine and reinventing the wheel.
Even safari for windows loads a lot of linux lib files just check the install so even safari is emulated on windows more or less.

The question is do you go clock wise or anti clock wise around a round object if you can not pass over the top of it ?
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby jiminez » Wed Dec 03, 2008 14:24

I may have posted in the wrong section. my question is only vaguely related to wine and iTunes. But I thought I would share my partial success with the community here with information on how I did it. Please forgive me if this is too much of a noob question, but I am new to the gentoo/sabayon packages and methods.

What I want to fix is this:

configure: libhal 32-bit development files not found, no dynamic device support.
configure: libsane 32-bit development files not found, scanners won't be supported.
configure: libgphoto2 32-bit development files not found, digital cameras won't be supported.
configure: liblcms 32-bit development files not found, Color Management won't be supported.
configure: libcapi20 32-bit development files not found, ISDN won't be supported.
configure: libldap (OpenLDAP) 32-bit development files not found, LDAP won't be supported.

Since I am running Sabayon 5.3.1 amd64, do you know what method/packages I might install to fix that?
jiminez
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Wed Dec 03, 2008 15:43

This may not pull in everything, but the below link is usually a good one-stop-shop for gentoo on amd64 questions.

http://www.gentoo.ro/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#emul32

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General