Installs in Wine???

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Installs in Wine???

Postby Stupot » Wed Dec 03, 2008 16:25

Code: Select all
chmod 777 <file name>

Will change the permissions to allow all users and groups full privileges to the file specified.

So, in this case you would be creating a directory in your home folder /home/<YOUR USER>/<CREATED DIRECTORY>/
where <YOUR USER> and <CREATED DIRECTORY> would be replaced with what your user name is and the directory you created, respectively.
Then you would copy all the files from the DVD to that directory. Then you would
chomd 777 /home/<YOUR USER>/<CREATED DIRECTORY>/*

For more information on changing permissions, check out http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man1/chmod.1.php
or you could type
man chmod
in your terminal (Konsole) and it would give you the same information.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby loserkid70 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 20:36

Thanks for the code. But i am still confused on the unhide command. The only thing on my wow disk is a DirectX installer and the game installer. Ive tried using several commands for unhidng but i cant seem to get it right. Ive used:

localhost loserkid70 # /mnt/cdrom -unhide
bash: /mnt/cdrom: is a directory

But nothing. I'm not getting the commands correct.
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Postby Inaeth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:37

loserkid70 wrote:I am using Konsole. So far I understand that Konsole is the best way for installing/using most of everything in Sabayon.

Well, yes and no. All the regulars perform system administration from the Command Line Interface. Once you know your way around the shell environment, there are many more operations that are more efficient to perform from the CLI than from a GUI. A lot of times, for more complex tasks than simply moving a large batch of similar files around, the GUI gets in the way. However, in Sabayon, the preferred method is to have regular users install packages from Spritz. When it comes to Wine, though, one must perform a 'wine /path/to/windows/*.exe' to perform the initial install. After that, your Desktop Environment will display the program in your Program Menu, and, depending on the choices you select during the install of the application, the desktop itself.

/dev/hdc                /mnt/cdrom      auto            exec,unhide,defaults,noauto,rw,users    0 0

Is this exactly what I type? The code on the right hand side is the options for my code, right? I'm sorry for all the n00b queastions. Ive tried using the HOW-TO section of the wiki but I'm just not comprehending all the material. I have some knowledge in programming from college but Linux is completely another thing. And, will the unhide feature show hidden files for when i copy the entire disk to my hard drive? Could you drop me some code on changing the permissions of files?

That code snippet is a reference to how I have the optical drive in my computer set up via the fstab file located at /etc/fstab. The first entry, '/dev/hdc', refers to my actual device on my system, which is on an IDE bus. Yours will differ. You should not need to touch that, as Sabayon automatically detects that and configures it for you. The second entry is the mount point that you want that device to be mounted to when there is a medium in it. A lot of distributions, such as Suse and Debian, will mount the device to /media/cdrom instead, but that is a matter of personal preference. The third entry, in this case 'auto', refers to the file system type to be mounted. The fourth entry is the options to be passed on read-write permissions per the file system. The fifth and sixth entries are the Dump/Check entries, that specifies file system dumps and fsck's device order in which to check file systems. So, on your system, more than likely, you will need to edit /etc/fstab as root via vim or nano (or whatever editor you're comfortable with, such as Kwrite), and check to make sure that the 'unhide' option is present in the mount options entry.

Then, check to see if you can install from there. If not, check the permissions on the files that are on the DVD to see which user/group they belong to. If, after adding yourself to that group with a 'gpasswd -a user group', and you still can't install, do the dirty hack of 'chmod -R -v 777 /path/to/copied/WoW/files/'. Then, install from the installer.exe file you copied to your hard drive with 'wine /path/to/Installer.exe'. Just remember to delete those after the expansion itself has been installed.
Inaeth
Baby Hen

Postby loserkid70 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:05

YAY!!! I got over a few hours of uber-n00bness and got my fstab file configured. I'm now trying to copy the files to /home/loserkid70/wotlk/ but I'm getting an error message saying the files can not be read. Do i need to be lof=gged in as root? When i generated my fstab to auto-mount and unhide files i used:
/dev/sr0                /mnt/cdrom      auto            exec,unhide,defaults,noauto,rw,users    0 0
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Postby loserkid70 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:40

ok. i got it. Thanks for everyones help. I'm gonna try to run the update. i have already downloaded it. just need to instal.
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Postby loserkid70 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:59

Ok.. One more addition to my list of problems and questions. I have Wow fully installed and updated but can't get it to run. I have no desktop icon and i cant find it anywhere. Anyone know how to run it?
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Software in General