Installs in Wine???

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Installs in Wine???

Postby loserkid70 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 22:11

I finally broke down and installed Sabayon 3.5.1 x64 on my gateway T-6815 laptop and everything works great... But.. I am a n00b on linux and havent yet got the hang of all of it and i was wondering how I install applications like World of warcraft in Wine ver 1.1.9 Can anyone give me some pointers?
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Re: Installs in Wine???

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 02, 2008 23:12

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby loserkid70 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:56

Thanks. That site helps alot. Until I get to the new Wow install. Wrath of the Lich King. I'ts a DVD and I'm having some trouble with the directions in that site. For DVD-Game installations, It gives the following instructions:

To start the installation, just run wine {YOUR_DVD_MOUNT_POINT}/Installer.exe

Like I said before, I'm a n00b. The whole DVD_MOUNT_POINT is throwing me off. Ive tried using the following but i get an error.

localhost loserkid70 # wine /media/Lich King/Installer.exe
wine: cannot find '/media/Lich'

Anny suggestions?
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:06

{YOUR_DVD_MOUNT_POINT}

Would be your drive, like /dev/sr0 would be mine.
Automount finds it as /media/DVD, but that is what I have it set up as in my fstab.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby loserkid70 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:14

How do I set up the fstab for default mount name? Ive googled but all i find is people talking about ubuntu. is the configuration the same? I know we use a gentoo basis but didnt know if it mattered.
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:20

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=1&chap=8

Your desktop environment should be automounting tho without an fstab setup

did you look in /media to see what was there?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby loserkid70 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:32

/media shows all my drives (hdd, dvd-rw, ect.) But my disks inserted are not auto-mounted. I have to right-click and mount. not a big problem. but if theres an easier way, then im interested. My dvd-rw drive is also under /dev/sr0/. But i have tried /media/sr0/installer.exe and /dev/sr0/installer.exe and neither have been successful. I tried running the install like the other way the gentoo-wiki site instructs and the Wow loader start but Throws me an error saying there is no installer found. Can Wow WOTLK even be installed?
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:26

Well, I'm not a WoW person, so I only know what I hear from others. I believe with latest wine, it's not a problem. We have inaeth in irc that is a WoW person tho. I put in a request that he sees your thread as he will know way more than me on this. To me it seems like you are just getting the path wrong or case sensitive.

/dev/sr0/installer.exe instead of /dev/sr0/Installer.exe like the directions say
To start the installation, just run wine {YOUR_DVD_MOUNT_POINT}/Installer.exe
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Inaeth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02

The file /etc/fstab is standard across all distributions. In your fstab, make sure the line pertaining to the DVD is set as such:

Code: Select all
/dev/hdc                /mnt/cdrom      auto            exec,unhide,defaults,noauto,rw,users    0 0

The 'unhide' option is crucial in this case, as the formatting of the DVD is very different from what Blizzard has done before with their other WoW discs. Also, when you load the DVD (I would suggest using either Konqueror or Dolphin if you are unused to the command line interface), one of the easiest things to do is to copy the files from the DVD to a directory in your home as root, and then change the permissions on all the files to 777. There is something funky with the user and groups attributions of the files, but it's been awhile since I looked at it to tell you exactly what was going on. I used the dirty hack of changing everything via chmod in a hurry, just to get the game installed, as I had waited in line for it for 90 minutes at the midnight party, and just wanted to play the content. ;)
Inaeth
Baby Hen

Postby loserkid70 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 15:16

I am using Konsole. So far I understand that Konsole is the best way for installing/using most of everything in Sabayon.

Code: Select all
/dev/hdc                /mnt/cdrom      auto            exec,unhide,defaults,noauto,rw,users    0 0

Is this exactly what I type? The code on the right hand side is the options for my code, right? I'm sorry for all the n00b queastions. Ive tried using the HOW-TO section of the wiki but I'm just not comprehending all the material. I have some knowledge in programming from college but Linux is completely another thing. And, will the unhide feature show hidden files for when i copy the entire disk to my hard drive? Could you drop me some code on changing the permissions of files?
loserkid70
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Software in General