gnucash under kde: larger font size???

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

gnucash under kde: larger font size???

Postby joe3 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:59

Hello. First let me say that I'm a kde user. I selected it as my only window manager/desktop environment a _LONG_ time ago...

That said I'm trying to get a small business off the ground and find it an absolute must that I use a financial software package. If I were a windows guy I'd probably use quickbooks. But I'm not, so I asked around for advice and then looked into KMyMoney. But I had it installed for less than 5 minutes before I found it's intro or help text file explaining that it simply isn't intended for business use...

So with great reluctance I tried the gnome based gnucash program. I soon learned that it has a high learning curve. But after a bumpy start I've learned to use it well enough to start feeding it my actual financial data. It really is an excellent piece of software that I decided I needed bad enough to try to adapt to it's user interface, which wasn't designed with kde users in mind. And for the most part I've succeeded. Though there are a few things I'd like to know how to do with it that I've come to believe simply isn't built into it's user interface design.

First and foremost among these is changing the font size it uses to something I can see when my eyes are tired and I just need to enter a few transactions before shutting my computer down for the night.

Is there a way to change the register font size in gnucash???

I suspect that if I'm supposed to be able to set an easier to see font size at all, I'm expected to do so with the gnome equivalent of:

kcontrol->Appearance & Themes->Fonts

But like I said, I'm a kde user. All I know for sure is gnucash doesn't listen to any of the font settings in kcontrol.

I do hope there is a way to do this. But I sure haven't figured out how. Could some one give me a clue???

As it is, my only workaround is to carefully size the window gnucash is running in, and hit <ctrl>+<alt>+<numpad plus> a couple of times. then center the desktop view on it so that the working parts of gnucash fill my 17 inch monitor.

Unfortunately, gnucash seams to require that I do certain things with the mouse. And I'm such a klutz with graphical pointing devices that I keep accidentally scrolling the desktop by mistake. then I have to get the &#$%$$%#$%@$%@$% rodent all the way to the opposite side of the screen to scroll the gnucash window back into view.

If my work around turns out to be the only way I can enlarge the effective character size of the fonts gnucash uses, then second most important interface issue becomes foremost. And that is how switch the registers focus to different accounts, without having to use the mouse...

The closest I can find is the Action->Jump command but to use that I first have to find a transaction in the current account that affects the account I want to switch to, probably open a split, select the transaction line that shows the transactions effect on the desired account. Then finally I can jump to it.

Is there a keyboard method of jumping to an arbitrarily selected account???

I could go on, but if I keep listing the things I find difficult to do with gnucash's user interface design, somebody will think I don't like gnucash. And really that isn't so. It's an amazing piece of software that is quite good at what it does. And I like it enough that I'm already using it. If I didn't think it was my best choice for the job at hand, I wouldn't consider resizing my desktop a couple of notches every time I change the focus to or from it's window. I'm just hoping that some some kind hearted soul happens to know how to do what I don't.

--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Re: gnucash under kde: larger font size???

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 14:50

Hey joe,

Does this problem effect all gnome/gtk apps? such as evolution/gimp/pidgin etc?
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby joe3 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:46

Not sure... What's pidgin? I once did hear heresy that there exists a mail application called evolution, but I have faith that only the "mailx" that once was, the shadow of the "pine" that has not yet faded, And the fabled "alpine" that may yet come to be, can possibly exist in the universe of those mail applications that I shall ever use...<snicker>

Seriously I use kde, but most of my favorite apps will also work on tty1... I never cared much for gnome, Mostly because it seamed to like to make be right click for things I didn't want to dust of the rodent for...(though I have to say that kde4 might yet force me to reconsider gnome) But every now and again when I find a gui application that I can stand (one that doesn't match the command filter "k*") I eventually discover it came from gnome. More often I simply determine that it's not native kde and never bother to dig deeper.

Now that you mention gtk I begin to recall that in kcontrol there does exist a gtk set-up option that I haven't looked at since the first time I tried (many moons ago, and shades of kde 2.something?) that I did try checking it off to see if the "gtk use kde fonts" thingy would get me bigger menu fonts in the predecessor to firefox called firebird... at the time it didn't work, and since I've learned to set minimum content font sizes for firefox I simply memorized most of the menu command key stroke sequences that I use much, of and otherwise just squint a lot...

Thank you for asking about gtk in such a way that it reminded me that I had once suspected it was a gnome thing.

I guess Dr Who was right when he said "Answers are easy! It's asking the right questions..."
---snip . . . .
Eureka! it seams the setting for "gtk" to use kde fonts works now. (Probably has for a long time...) It does solve the problem. And makes firefox nicer to. But I always thought ImageMagick aka display, was part of the gimp? and the menu I get when I left-click on a "display"(ed) image is still using tiny fonts??? However the only thing I really cared about was the _content_ text of gnucash, and _that_ has for sure responded to that simple setting adjustment... (now I feel stupid or at least that my CRS is showing)

Errr you do know what CRS stands for?: <grin>

* CRS : "Can't Remember Sh^Htuff" : In my case this mean that unless I
* do something the same way every day for a LONG time, or have examples
* of how I did it before (where I can still find them), I usually wind up
* scratching my head the next time I need to do a non-daily task.

Thanks again!

--
joe3
joe3
Advanced Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:32

Heheh. You read my mind. Congrats!

[solved]?
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Return to Software in General