No Direct3D in Wine

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

No Direct3D in Wine

Postby doom0r » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36

I installed Diablo II and LoD via wine. Video test app (on D2 disc/install) reports only DirectDraw as an option. Direct rendering is working, using latest nvidia drivers in sabayon repo. I'm not sure where to begin with this. I guess when my patience resumes I can try installing it against the Live DVD. I tried it in (K)ubuntu 8.04 updated fully which gives wine 1.0.1, iirc, and it works just fine without any configuration.

Edit: 3.5 x86_64 release fully updated, wine version is 1.1.5
doom0r
Young Hen

Re: No Direct3D in Wine

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:57

Have you tried wine-doors as it has it's own directx 9c installer or this used to be the case.
Surely there is a linux version of diablo ?
Might need SDL .
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: No Direct3D in Wine

Postby doom0r » Mon Oct 13, 2008 18:49

No, blizzard has never put one out. Using an outside directx is the opposite of wine's direction. Wine uses a custom built layer to handle directx calls and translate them to other device layer handlers. Wine-doors has directx either out of ignorance or more likely it is simply the runtimes that wine needs on top of what it uses.

I did some searching and it seems there's a break somewhere between 1.1.2 and 1.1.4 in wine with respect to direct3d. I found two bug reports that have basically the same issue and it looks as though it's completely upstream.

So, when I have a while I'm going to have to git clone the tree and do regression testing to find the patch and post it to their bug system. When I get to this and find the issue I'll report findings back down here.
doom0r
Young Hen

Return to Software in General