3.4 loop 2 VMWare Windows Autorun

Discussion for all VM - Installing, Software, Problems

Moderator: Moderators

Wait...What?
Growing Hen

3.4 loop 2 VMWare Windows Autorun

Post by Wait...What? » Fri Jun 08, 2007 14:20

I've been trying to use the live DVD's vmware on XP boot option, but I can't get it to work. I think I'm doing it correctly, but there isn't a whole lot of info on the process.

I have a working live DVD of 3.4 loop 2 (I used it to install Sabayon on my hard drive). In XP I insert the disc and the boot menu appears. I downloaded and installed vmware server as it instructs. Once vmware was installed, I selected the boot Sabayon option. VMWare begins to run, XP asks if I want to open or save SB.svm. I've tried both, and when I open the file, VMWare looks as if it's going to boot Sabayon just fine, then after about 20 secs. a little white box appears in the bottom right corner of the VMWare screen saying no boot disc found. It asks for a cd to be inserted, which already is.

I've tried the shutdown and restart option and I've F2'd and tried re-ordering the boot order of the drives to no avail. I don't actually need to get this working since I use my installed version 99.9% of the time, but I thought someone else might like to know how to get it working as well. The vmware site / forums have next to nothing on Sabayon or the feature, and this seems like an excellent non-threatening way to get others familiar with how great Sabayon is. (Threatening as in, "I'm going to re-partion you're hard drive.") I know they could just use the live DVD and reboot, but this would be good too.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:09

Not sure if it is working /updated yet the sabayon.vmplayer download thingy.

I had to create a new virtual machine and then run 3.4 in it using a vmware copy I had not vmware player.

Think the vmware server might be free or get the vmware workstation demo license / download.

Think this vmware player was made for 3.3 mini or earlier.

Also the vmware virtual machine that it downloads is only 8gb instead of 11gb+ that is needed by 3.4loop2b / 3.4 dvd = too small.

Maybe someone else posting here can help you bypass the cd not reading problem.

PS> Insert the dvd and restart the computer and select 1st / 2nd option as this will load into memory and do nothing to your hard drive / windows install.
This way you can test it.
Or get the vmware demo license and download.

Hope this helps.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:10

Can you also tell me if it is "vmware player" or the actual "vmware workstation" .

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:31

If it is "vmware workstation" there is a option to add a hard drive or cd or something like this menu and where the cd/dvd options is there is a option to go either with a ISO image file or the actual cd/dvd.

Might try changing this as well as likely it wants to boot from iso image or it has the incorrect dvd drive selected to boot from.

You get the idea.

Wait...What?
Growing Hen

Post by Wait...What? » Mon Jun 11, 2007 13:43

Hi, Thanks for the reply. The autorun feature that comes with the dvd uses vmware player. I can get it to work if I run through the full vmware workstation procedure and create a new virtual machine, but I wanted to try to get the autorun feature working. It may just not be ready yet. (?)

One other thing I tried while in XP was opening the .vms file that is on the dvd but it said I don't have permission.

Has anyone gotten the autorun feature to work yet?

Thanks!