Fresh 16.07 install (gnome)- Virtualbox issues

Discussion for all VM - Installing, Software, Problems

Moderator: Moderators

Fresh 16.07 install (gnome)- Virtualbox issues

Postby swejuggalo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:07

Virtualbox installs without being added into application menu nor given the correct rights so the user can start it. I had to manually fix it. Should be easy to replicate. I used Rigo to install.
swejuggalo
Baby Hen

Re: Fresh 16.07 install (gnome)- Virtualbox issues

Postby swejuggalo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:47

"equo install virtualbox-bin" added it properly to the menues. Not sure how many other steps that was necessary to solve the issue. As I see it Rigo seems to have a problem with installing Virtualbox.
swejuggalo
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:05

I always remember problems when installing Virtualbox (where is Virtualbox-Guest-Additions? Is it automatically installed by depency chain?). So since first time then I always installed by using the root commands:
Code: Select all
equo i virtualbox-bin
equo i virtualbox-modules#$(uname -r)
equo i virtualbox-guest-additions#$(uname -r)

Then you have installed the latest version of Virtualbox, it's matching your Kernel version and the matching guest-additions...
Anyway, the virtualbox-modules where not loaded automatically. So, they need to be manually or then in a boot script in /etc/modules-load.d:
# /etc/modules-load.d/Virtualbox.conf
# Modules needed for VirtualBox at boot up time, used by Systemd:
# Date: 15/07/2013
vboxdrv
vboxnetadp
vboxnetflt

Latest Kernel version now is linux-sabayon-4.6.3.
When then will appear a new Kernel mainline, ->Kernel 4.7, then you'll need to install this new Kernel manually. To make sure, that Virtualbox modules and -guest-additions will be updated to that new Kernel mainline, then you can use kernel-switcher command. First check for new Kernel version with:
equo s linux-sabayon-4

The latest will be shown as last entry. If there will be a new mainline (e.g. Kernel 4.7.0), then you can use:
kernel-switcher switch linux-sabayon-4.7.0

to install the new Kernel and the depending modules for Virtualbox, NVidia, AMD and/or others...

And, in addition to your issue, it seems usual, that menu entries are often added, when you have at least logged out and logged in again In some cases, I prefer to reboot completely.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby swejuggalo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 13:28

I didn't need to manually install anything but virtualbox-bin (despite already having been installed with Rigo). Modules and guest-additions Rigo added automatically. Before using "equo install virtualbox-bin" reboot did nothing to show Virtualbox. And when trying to start in terminal it needed root.
So there must be some misstakes done somewhere with the switch from 16.05 -> 16.07. Worked without issues with Rigo with a fresh 16.05 installation.
swejuggalo
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sat Jul 02, 2016 16:55

Just an idea, you may check (in user terminal), which groups you are member of with the command:
groups

For virtualbox you'll need to be member of the group vboxusers. If your are not member of then you can add this group to your username in a root terminal with:
usermod -aG vboxusers <yourusername>

This should solve the problem. You should then start virtualbox as user even with a menu entry.
I'm not sure, that in previous Sabayon versions, when installing the virtualbox packages your username has been added to vboxusers group automatically.

Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby swejuggalo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 19:54

Problem was already solved when coming here. Just wanted to point out that a fresh install of 16.07 has a issue with Virtualbox :) 16.05 did it correctly just with Rigo.
swejuggalo
Baby Hen

Return to Virtual Managers