VMware 10.0.1 start up error

Discussion for all VM - Installing, Software, Problems

Moderator: Moderators

VMware 10.0.1 start up error

Postby John Snyder » Wed Nov 06, 2013 21:14

"Unable to change virtual machine power state: Internal error" is the message I receive when I try to load an existing virtual machine. (I'm running Sabayon 13.8, 64-bit, with all the latest updates).

I followed the instructions from the webpage https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... orkstation to the letter, EXCEPT for the vmware.service script. On my computer, there is no /etc/rc.d/ directory. I found a vmware file in the /etc/init.d/ directory. So, in creating the vmware.service script, I substituted /etc/init.d/ for the non-existent /etc/rc.d/ directory. However, that didn't prove to help.

When I started VMWare Player, I received the following error message: "Failed to open device "/dev/vmci": No such file or directory. Please make sure that the kernel module 'vmci' is loaded. Module DevicePowerOn power on failed. Failed to start the virtual machine."

If anyone has figured out how to install VMWare into the most recent version of Sabayon (using systemd), I'd surely appreciate hearing about it.
John Snyder
Baby Hen

Re: VMware 10.0.1 start up error

Postby John Snyder » Fri Nov 08, 2013 18:13

Thank goodness for Acronis True Image! I've "restored" my Sabayon installation about five times, and installed VMWare an equal number of times, trying to get it to work!

This time I did a chmod +x on the VMWare workstation bundle before installing it. And, as before, I changed the path from rc.d directory to the init.d directory.

When I click on Application Menu/System/VMWare Workstation, I can open the program. However, when I try to either open a virtual machine or create a new virtual machine, I receive the following error message: "Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to"

HOWEVER, when I clickd on Application Menu/Run Program and then scroll down to VMWare Workstation, EVERYTHING WORKS PROPERLY!!!!!!! And, when I create a desktop launcher with the same settings as in the Application Menu/Run Program/VMWare Workstation, EVERYTHING WORKS PROPERLY! However, when I create an entry in the Launcher Panel with the exact same settings, I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE!!!

So ... starting program from Application Menu/System/ and from Launcher Panel does not work. Starting program from Application Menu/Run Program and from a desktop launcher does work!

Can anyone explaine that?????
John Snyder
Baby Hen

Re: VMware 10.0.1 start up error

Postby John Snyder » Fri Nov 08, 2013 18:59

When I log in using the Cinnamon Desktop, and then go to the Application Menu/system menu and click on VMWare Workstation, it works properly. Doing the exact same thing with the LXDE Desktop results in the error message I've mentioned.
John Snyder
Baby Hen

Return to Virtual Managers