HOWTO: Embedded KVM in Sabayon [Solved]

Discussion for all VM - Installing, Software, Problems

Moderator: Moderators

HOWTO: Embedded KVM in Sabayon [Solved]

Postby BoeroBoy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:43

Hi I wanted to put this into wiki but can't find my "create page" option.

I've been playing with Ovirt lately which is tough given the requirements of multiple bare metal machines. On the go, it's possible to set up a virtualization cluster using KVM with nested virtualization, which exposes your host virtualization hardware to your guests. Turns out it's pretty easy to enable this in KVM these days if your hardware supports it. You need virtualization extensions and nested paging. I followed the great writeup here: http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=275

Assuming you've installed kvm and virt-manager with equo:
Code: Select all
root$ equo install virt-manager

You can tell if your system supports nested KVM by issuing this command:
$ cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
N

That's a big nope. Now let's enable it.

root$ echo "options kvm-intel nested=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/kvm-intel.conf

You should either restart or modprobe kvm-intel for changes to take effect. Now check again.

$ cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested
Y

Now in virt-manager, create or select a VM and view Settings->Processor->Configuration->CPU Features. You must specify a CPU model and set "vmx => Require". Your guest should now allow hypervisors. Though "force" may sometimes yield a false sense of virtualization. Feel free to clone those VMs and build an Ovirt cluster or other clustered hypervisor testbed. Note that performance might not be quite as fast as native.
BoeroBoy
Simple Hen

Re: HOWTO: Embedded KVM in Sabayon [Solved]

Postby wolfden » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11

Once logged in, you should just be able to change the url to something like - https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?titl ... in_Sabayon and the page will come up and you should be able to add to it.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Virtual Managers