how do i do a little thing called "dual boot" with two HDD

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

boe_dye
Baby Hen

how do i do a little thing called "dual boot" with two HDD

Post by boe_dye » Wed Aug 29, 2007 18:58

Okay folks, how are you all doing? First off, I love Sabayon. It's fantastic, and works great on my machine...

I also love XP pro SP2, it really does do everything I want it to do (please no rants about the evil corporate giant) and I like to do lots of oddball things with it. However now that the reign of XP is coming to an end, (at least that is what microsoft hopes so that everyone will drop 300 plus on an OS that doesn't even work all that well, and wont let you do what you want...) I find myself learning the wonderful world of Linux...

That being said....

AAAARRRGH!!!!!

Where do i begin???

Oh, boy. My biggest problem is that instead of tackling one problem I find myself tackling multiple problems. I usually try to stay as simple as possible with little things and work my way up. I am good at reading directions as long as the directions are well written...

So here goes, my first problem that I would like to solve (trust me, I will continue to post all of my PC problems as they accrue...)

How do I dual boot???

This is what my system looks like.

I have a 150gig SATA drive dedicated to windows.

I have a 200 gig SATA drive that does nothing but store stuff (pictures, vid, program versions, music etc...) (sabayon recognizes both quite well and have had no trouble pulling stuff from them to be used on Sabayon (music, firefox etenstions etc)

I have an 80 gig SATA drive that is Partitioned to use Sabayon, and be used as a working drive for lengthy downloads.

Now, i am not concerned about the 200 gig drive, it does exactly what I want it to do...

However, it is getting somewhat annoying that whenever I want to switch between OS' that i need to go into the BIOS and tell it what HDD I want to boot first (obviously if I do the win drive it boots win, and if I do the Sabayon Drive it boots Sabayon).

I am using the full blown DVD version care of Azureus, so I basically have all there is to have.

I have Grub loader, which faithfully comes up everytime sabayon boots and asks me which OS i want to boot. Of course as it is, sabayon is the only OS on the drive so that works out well.

So for the sake of argument and learning, regardless of any previous knowledge I have about computers, let us just assume that the only thing I know about computer is that a Boot Loader is something cripple cowboys use to put their shoes on, and that a mouse is something that my cat chases.

If there are any questions that I need to answer before a solution presents itself, feel free to ask.

Look forward to all the replies, and am very excited to be part of this community.

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: how do i do a little thing called "dual boot" with two HDD

Post by WarraWarra » Wed Aug 29, 2007 22:45

I suppose the question is you have 2 hd's and want to dual boot.
Easy 1 hd on first channel of eide / sata port will be listed as /dev/sda and 2nd = /dev/sdb

Now say windows is on /dev/sda or a pratition possibly = /dev/sda3 then leave it there and just run the live dvd , get your internet connection working then on the desktop is a "update installer" run it and it would say OKAY updated = good.
Next run the installer and provided you already have partions set up for linux say 128mb /boot , 2048mb or more swap , rest to " / " or root , or you might have added a space for /home and then have root atleast 12gb minm.
Either way in the installer is a partition manager type program and would fail if any partitions is mounted = unmount them if not already. Then partition /dev/sdb to what you need or how you like it + format = yes.
Then let the installer do the grub boot manager and if windows is not listed there then add it say /dev/sda2 might be windows.
Installer finishes and it boots , menu shows and either select windows or SL.

Easy as pie.

If you need to check the partition layout you can either launch gparted in Sabayon live dvd kde enviroment or as root in terminal

Code: Select all

# su
passwd:
# cfdisk
or

# cfdisk /dev/sdb
as it would auto list 1st hd if no hd is specified so for 2nd hd you have to tell it you want to look at /dev/sdb
This will show the layout and you can work from there.

If you have any doubths always backup any important info before messing with a partition / MBR / boot loader.

Hope this helps

NB:
If not sure about any of these download virtualbox = pc emulator for any OS and install SL into virtualbox using the 1.5mb virtual hd file I attached in the virtualpc part of the forum here as it would extract to 20gb and is already formated to ext3 , always virus check any files. This way you can first try with no danger of loosing info. You can also create a virtualhd but it takes a long time that is why I added the 1.5mb rar virtualhd file.

Best of luck and welcome here.

lleb
Growing Hen

Post by lleb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 22:49

the easy way to set up the dual boot is to do the following:

1. install winXP, but leave XYZ amount of HDD space unpartitioned and untouched by XP during the install.
2. fire up XP and use the disk manager (right click on my computer, manage computer) and format the remaining partitions FAT32 as long as they are not over 139 or 132G in size/space. if they are over that size, just leave them blank unformatted.
3. restart the computer with the Sabayon DVD in the system.
4. install Sabayon linux to the free unpartitioned disk space.
5. when prompted what to do with the other OS, tell it to create a dual boot system. it will know what to do from there.
6. you can also at that time tell the installer to set either Sabayon or winXP as the primary boot OS and you can set the default delay time before the system boots into that OS without being touched.

poof, you are done.
Sun State Martial Arts "The Family Training Center!"
worlds worst speller

boe_dye
Baby Hen

Post by boe_dye » Thu Aug 30, 2007 0:58

wow!!! lottsa quick responses. Great!!!

Thanks again, now before I do anymore, I have some more questions. One, seeing as how I already have sabayon installed, can I do this from "grub" via the "Grub Menu"?

See, being new to all this, I unplugged my other two drives before I installed Sabayon. I initially didn't have a problem installing it with the other two drives connected until it said something about partitioning my other drives to be used with Sabyon (even though I unchecked the boxes) So perhaps it was just in how I was reading it, either way it made me feel a little skittish, cause I have a TON of data that is simply unrealistic to back up onto DVD's (maybe I should just ghost XP onto the 200gig so that in case I screw up the main XP, all I would need to do is re-Ghost it...see this is how i get into doing multiple things at once....)

So, the question is, can I do this right from the Grub menu, Do I need to reinstall Sabayon, or Do can I do it right from the Sabayon DVD?

does that make any sense? Don't mind me, i just like to ask lottsa questions and understand exactly what it is I am doing before I do it.

And to answer your question, yes i am dual booting HDD's not Partitions. From what I have been able to gather had it is considerably easier to dual boot partitions as opposed to dual booting hard drives.

Thanks to both of you thus far who have provided me with your wisdom!

lleb
Growing Hen

Post by lleb » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:04

yes you can just edit grub, but sadly i will be of no further help as you are out of my league.

it can be done, i just do not know how.
Sun State Martial Arts "The Family Training Center!"
worlds worst speller

Eden
Growing Hen

Post by Eden » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:15

boe_dye wrote: See, being new to all this, I unplugged my other two drives before I installed Sabayon. I initially didn't have a problem installing it with the other two drives connected until it said something about partitioning my other drives to be used with Sabyon (even though I unchecked the boxes) So perhaps it was just in how I was reading it, either way it made me feel a little skittish, cause I have a TON of data that is simply unrealistic to back up onto DVD's (maybe I should just ghost XP onto the 200gig so that in case I screw up the main XP, all I would need to do is re-Ghost it...see this is how i get into doing multiple things at once....)
Thats your problem, you should have left the two other drives in as thats why grub isnt instaled on the right drive, its why grub also doesnt detect Windows.

The two posts above you ignore them, there right but there wrong for what you need to do. All you have to do is reinstall grub on the correct hdd (i.e. the first hdd to boot, your windows one). To do this boot up sabayon and open a console window, type the following.

grub --no-floppy
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd1)
quit
This will install grub on your second hdd (sdb) where your windows OS is (make sure thats set in the bios and its not your data hdd), you will now have to edit grub (/boot/grub/grub.conf) and change the sabayon install that points to /dev/sda to /dev/sdb. Once you have done that reboot into the bios and reorder your hdds as windows (sda), Sabayon (sdb), data (sdc). If i haven't missed anything grub should load on the bext boot and you should be able to boot sabayon.

Assuming that all went well you need to add a windows boot option to your grub.conf file.
Sabayon Wiki Admin

Sabayon Wiki Editors needed.

nomad
Simple Hen

Post by nomad » Thu Aug 30, 2007 13:29

boe_dye, you seem to have a very similar intention, if not identical, to mine. You have several SATA hdds that you want to preserve as is. You would like to dual boot -- drives, not partitions. OK...Here is what I have successfully done for two different PCs, a 7yr old P4 and recently a new build.

First -- My P4P800 has only two SATA ports: SATA 1 and SATA 2, naturally. In the BIOS, the boot order is defaulted to port 1 then port 2. I hooked up a 160gb SATA hdd to port 2. I had partitioned this drive in half -- 80gb FAT and 80gb ext3 with my laptop, but that's just a convenience and not really needed in your case.

Second -- On power up, I immediately access the BIOS and changed the boot order: port 2 then port 1. Up to now, no other hdd are physically installed. After WXP and all the desired programs are installed, I shut down and installed a 36gb hdd in port 1. Remember, the BIOS boot order is still port 2 then 1.

Third -- On power up, I access the BIOS again but this time changed the boot order back to port 1 then port 2. WXP only whine about being the first hdd only on install. After install, with the correct GRUB menu edit, which you will see, WXP does not even know what order its own hdd is in and will boot anyway.

Fourth -- I installed SL 3.3 on the 36gb hdd, which is hooked up to port 1. I did not disconnect the WXP drive, which is the 160gb partitioned in two. The second half of this 160gb is ext3 and is my /home drive.

SATA port 1: SL 3.3 on /.

SATA port 2: WXP and SL 3.3 on /home.

Boot order: port 1 then port 2.

Fifth -- I edited my /boot/grub/menu.lst to include at the bottom:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel real_root=/dev/sda1
# initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=6
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Sabayon Linux x86 3.3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda 1 quiet init=/linuxrc splash=silent,theme:sabayon vga=791 CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 dodmraid pci=nomsi
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.20-sabayon-r3
title WXP Pro
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
makeactive
chainloader +1
Notice the highlighted. This is called drive mapping and if this is not in place, WXP would not boot as it is still demanding its hdd to be first in the boot order. With drive mapping, GRUB tells ntbootloader a little white lie that WXP is first in the boot order. WXP has no idea that its hdd is in second. I have done this several times and WXP boots every time. With the new build, I have Vista Ultimate and SL 3.4e in the exact same set up. Vista boots every time. Each MBR of each hdd has nothing to do with the other OS.

On power up, port 1 (36gb SL 3.3) boot and present me with SL and WXP. All I have to do is 'arrow' down to 'WXP Pro' as it is in menu.lst and boot into WXP on port 2. If I change the boot order to port 2 then port 1. WXP will boot but no indication at all that another OS resides in the PC anywhere, which is normal because ntloader does not know of any other OS. Switch it back, port 1 then port 2, and I will have both OS-es ready for me.

In your case, I suggest you set your SL hdd as the first in the boot order. It does not matter if it is in port 0 or port 3 or port 6 but I suggest you keep with the hardware order just to prevent any confusion. That means install SL into a hdd hooked up to the first SATA port. My Intel has the first port as port 0. The ASUS begins with port 1. Then hook up the WXP hdd in the next port, then your miscellaneous data hdds in the other ports. Install SL and remember on which hdd. Let GRUB do its thing and with SL 3.4 you would not need to edit menu.lst. GRUB should configure the drive mapping for you. It did mine.

boe_dye
Baby Hen

Post by boe_dye » Fri Aug 31, 2007 17:49

welp, problem solved and this is how I did it...

First off, I want to thank everyone from around the world (i was reading the location thing under the bird thing...) who gave me all their knowledge, and support. It was very essential to the learning process.

I now have a whole new schlew of vocabulary under my belt, and think I finally get... some of it :wink:

So, this is what happened...

First off (or second off at this point...) I was having some major issues getting into "root". It took me a bit to figure out that root meant type in root into the login box, and then my password (like I said totally new to this environment). So once I figured that out, I loaded up into an entirely new KDE desktop that had no window borders what so ever. So little things like resizing and moving the window box into something that was at the very least manageable was out...

oh, and the hold alt and left click or whatever that is didn't work either...

So...

That made things difficult...

Eventually I made my way to terminal (which by the way, is that simply a form of a DOS box?), and tried the solution that Eden suggested...

no luck...

SO... I logged out of root with the KDE desktop, went over to my Xbox, and played Hitman... and died alot...

Came back to the root KDE desktop, and to my surprise, KDE root just locked up completely...

Went back to the super user side, where everything works, and tried to make sense of the other directions...

Unfortunately for some odd reason whenever I went into root mode on the super user side, the terminal never seemed to work...

It was at that point after a few hours that I went and played some more Hitman... And died some more...

Came back, and discovered that I can use different desktop environments... Hmm, well that's original I thought to myself...

So I tried the fluxbox environment, and everything worked, except for my limited understanding of how to do anything usefull...

At this point, I said screw it, re formated the partition, re installed sabayon, this time with all the other drives plugged in, and to my delight, I can now Dual Boot...

Now the question is, how can I edit to make windows the primary boot, and how do I turn of the 5 second countdown clock?

Thanks again for all the help, and will be sure to write all this information down for future reference :D

Eden
Growing Hen

Post by Eden » Fri Aug 31, 2007 18:23

boe_dye wrote: Now the question is, how can I edit to make windows the primary boot, and how do I turn of the 5 second countdown clock?
in /boot/grub/grub.conf change default=0 to default=1

for the timer, if you turn it off grub will load the first option (windows) automatically i think making it impossible to boot Sabayon, though ive never tried for this reason, change timeout=5 to the time (in sec) you want.

you need to edit this file as root (use su, dont login as root)
Sabayon Wiki Admin

Sabayon Wiki Editors needed.

boe_dye
Baby Hen

Post by boe_dye » Sat Sep 01, 2007 0:53

don't hate me for this...

but use "su"?

Just to make sure that is my regular login name and password correct?

nothing like login name "super user" or "su" and then "password" right?

Like i said above, i love to ask lottsa questions :compress: