Anyone here running Sab with XFCE?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

2ny
Simple Hen

Anyone here running Sab with XFCE?

Post by 2ny » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:42

Just curious - I need to try something else.

Tony. . .

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:16

I have before and several others do.

2ny
Simple Hen

Post by 2ny » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:33

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Tony. . .

tao
Baby Hen

Post by tao » Fri Aug 17, 2007 13:11

I left XFCE compiling this morning so I'm hoping it will be done by the time I get home. So far I like sabayon a lot.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
Simple Hen

Re: Anyone here running Sab with XFCE?

Post by Matthew Wiebelhaus » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:37

2ny wrote:Just curious - I need to try something else.

Tony. . .
I tried it today and didnt like it stick with kde

edgevision
Growing Hen

Post by edgevision » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:58

Spend some time learning how to configure it. XFCE is lightning-fast and just as good as GNOME in my opinion because it is so configurable (and it is based around GTK, so the two share many similarities.) It also works with Compiz Fusion. What I suggest is installing Sabayon with all of the GNOME packages and then emerging XFCE afterwards. Make sure you also emerge all the little panel goodies and whatnot. :)

jcbray
Young Hen

Post by jcbray » Mon Aug 27, 2007 13:34

I quite like XFCE, especially over KDE and Gnome, however, I'd also suggest you have a look at Enlightenment, or E, either the stable E16 or the unstable E17. The Elive CD has a release of E17, but on a debian base, which I don't like. So, my next step is to get E17 on a gentoo base - should be great :) Of course I plan on doing this after the sabayon 3.4 mini edition comes out.....the mini-edition???

edgevision
Growing Hen

Post by edgevision » Mon Aug 27, 2007 15:06

I think I might try out Enlightenment 17, then decide which of the two I like better and rebuild my system starting with Sabayon Core. e17 has some way-cool features, like Engage.

ron_o
Baby Hen

Post by ron_o » Sat Sep 01, 2007 22:50

I'm using XFce and I really love it. KDE was a bit much for me and fluxbox was too simplistic and not very useable with applets or anything. Fluxbox is really made for speed and old systems.

Many people claim that XFce is so much quicker than KDE but I beg to differ -- slightly. XFce *can* be quick and be low on resources only so long as you don't have many/any applets running. I run just about every applet there is and my RAM can range from 200Mb when I start all the way up to 900Mb (got 2Gb) when I'm running everything. My habits haven't changed much since I used KDE and from what I recall my RAM was just about the same. As far as CPU it's hard to say, but probably much easier on the system. You might notice a bigger advantage on an older system, but, like I said, it's how you use it.

KDE and Gnome should be used by noobs for a base model to see what's out there. XFce surely doesn't have all that KDE or Gnome has to offer but at a, under certain circumstances, smaller foot print. However, with enough experience the desktop environment doesn't make much of a difference in what you can do and your conveniences associated with them. They just make it easier for those without the time, the need, or the want to learn of it.
From scratch:
Intel dg965wh mobo
G965 Chipset
Graphics (Intel® GMA X3000)
2Gb DDR2
Core2Duo 6400 (2.13Ghz)
3.3 mini 64bit at this moment.
SL since >> 2/2007