WOW! Sabayon 3.4

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

WOW! Sabayon 3.4

Post by ThinkBayon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:55

Buon lavoro! (My Italiano is rusty...I know that literally means "good work," but is that the best way to say it?)

So many things that needed to be fixed from Sabayon 3.3 have been. I'm running it on my laptop, and have little reason to switch at this point. Let me count the reasons...

* KDE Desktop icons stay put now
* As good-looking as ever (fonts, etc.)
* Quick from the get-go! No more of the day of pain, with horrendously slow speeds. Something changed. I just don't know what.
* Package selection was nice. It cut down on how many "emerge -C"s I had to do

I've converted from a GNOME guy to an Xfce guy to a KDE guy right now, and the search for a solid KDE distro has been an arduous one. Arch is awesome, but I'm always left with something to be desired due to my inability to customize it "just right." I understand the value of USE flags when installing software, so my system should be lighter than in Debian. One thing that keeps me off Debian is how inexplicably terrible their Madwifi driver is. It can barely hold any signal, and I don't know why. PCLinuxOS is fast too, but is a total memory hog: In "Powersave" mode, I was consistently logging 1.3GB RAM usage! Same goes for Mandriva. So I'm left with Sabayon, and 3.3 was terribly slow and buggy.

The main difference for me was the improved speed from a fresh install. Other things that I'm enjoying have a lot to do with my better understanding of Portage (meaining I know the bare basics of it), the Gentoo system, and the software available out there. Given time, I'll recompile my whole system using some "world" technique to have a lightning-quick, no-fuss Sabayon system! With a little luck, from there on out, I'll only be upgrading individual pieces of software as new features come out, and keeping up with my security updates.

Anyway, enough raving. This is a big step, guys! Keep up the good work! I just might have to order a DVD and a Sabayon mug, which could displace my precious Pardus mug...!

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:49

LOL see I told you. These devp's are 5* champs.

Speed :
/etc/fstab you might need to add "commit=60" think it is in the gentoo forums
/etc/make.conf = -j3 for 2cpu / dual core or for some reason -j16 on my laptop weard , -O2 -march=prescott -pipe or similar.
Emerge -s udept and install it.
And the Kpower next to time at performance , performance.

Will post if I find more.

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Post by darkscot » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:03

After three days downloading and three attempts to burn the DVD (don't use Tesco DVDs!) I have finally upgraded to 3.4. I literally mean upgraded as this is the first time I have used the upgrade option instead of a clean install. The upgrade performed beautifully and all user settings and preferences were preserved.
I have not had much time to play with it but first impressions are that it is much faster than 3.4 loop3. The install/upgrade screen also looks much cleaner and sharper in somehow.
So my congratulations to the developers for producing a distro that is the best I have ever tried and keeps getting better!
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:19

how long did it take to upgrade? Good to finally here some good reports of upgrades

darkscot
Advanced Hen

Post by darkscot » Mon Jul 30, 2007 13:32

wolfden wrote:how long did it take to upgrade? Good to finally here some good reports of upgrades
I think it was between 30-40 minutes. I can't say exactly as I was doing other things at the time and didn't notice exactly when it finished.
Desktop1: Sabayon 3.4e, WinXP | Desktop2: Sabayon 3.4e, WinME |

flick
Growing Hen

Post by flick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 14:36

Wow on the bling factor, with nvidia driver and compiz-fusion working so well out of the box. Same with Flash and .mp3s.

Not so wow with the same shutdown issue I had in 3.4 loop 3 : right-click on the KDE desktop, select log off, select shut down computer -- screen goes black ( but with an active mouse cursor -- wt?? ) and computer stays running.

I reported this issue to the devs while loop3 was out as the latest and greatest Sabayon. Never had an issue like this with 3.25, 3.26, or 3.3 series.

Opening a terminal, becoming root and issuing "shutdown -h now" works fine.

Using x86_64 3.4a, on an HP dv6000 laptop, Turion 64 X2.

edgevision
Growing Hen

Post by edgevision » Mon Jul 30, 2007 14:40

Had some issues with shutdown and reboot on HP laptops.. have you tried attaching reboot=b to GRUB?

ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

Post by ThinkBayon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 14:48

I'm not using this for the bling factor at all. My desktop is a fairly default "Plastik" right now, and I uninstalled all 3D effects.

flick
Growing Hen

Post by flick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 14:48

@edgevision : haven't tried that, will when I get home from work. Thank you for the tip.

Etelari
Baby Hen

Post by Etelari » Mon Jul 30, 2007 19:48

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say that this version (3.4) is awsome. After burning the DVD and booting.. Clean install (about 30 min) on my Core Duo + 2 gig Ram and 8800GTS - It was flawless.

Video Drivers / Resolution were perfect //
Network Works fine.

The only thing I needed to do was edit xorg.config and enable "composite video" [ I think thats it.. Im at work now...] It was the last line in the file... by default it was "disabled" Rebooted and bang,, 3d desktop!

This Distro completely KILLS Ubuntu in every way shape possible. I installed 3 different versions of Ubuntu all of which sucked... no vid drivers.. resolution issues..

Anywho, I am very impressed so far with this and can't wait to continue to learn !!

Thanks!