Sabayon Charges Up The Distrowatch Ranks!

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Will Sabayon become the top linux distro?

YES!
53%
No
18%
I cant be sure
29%
Only if gentoo survives
No votes

Total votes: 17

ScottishDuckHunter
Simple Hen

Sabayon Charges Up The Distrowatch Ranks!

Post by ScottishDuckHunter » Fri Jul 27, 2007 18:58

Just had a look today. In http://www.distrowatch.com's quaterly usage chart Sabayon has jumped from 7th to 5th. I believe soon we will be able to challenge PCLOS, within the month?

edgevision
Growing Hen

Post by edgevision » Fri Jul 27, 2007 20:32

Awesome. :D

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Fri Jul 27, 2007 20:58

Last 7 days , we are getting there and the future will become extremly bright LOL Aug / Sept 2007 onwards , "just you wait Henry Wigins just you wait"
:twisted:

Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 PCLinuxOS 2200<
2 Ubuntu 2104<
3 Sabayon 1785>
4 openSUSE 1305<
5 Fedora 1015>
6 Mint 986>

Eden
Growing Hen

Post by Eden » Fri Jul 27, 2007 21:40

7 days doesn't count because an OS always jump with a new release, eventually no matter what distros fall down he rank, Ubuntus staying at the top because there always coming out with new things, Gentoo is lower down because its nothing more than maintenance releases now, not to mention distrowatch tends to be the first place a new GNU/linux users goes and for some reason PCLinuxOS sounds like a good OS (how knows why?)
Sabayon Wiki Admin

Sabayon Wiki Editors needed.

Bazzah
Baby Hen

Post by Bazzah » Fri Jul 27, 2007 22:18

@Eden, PCLOS is a very, very good OS. Everything works. It looks great. It's really well thought through. Some people don't need the CLI. Now I happen to like the CLI but for real newcomers, you just want an OS that works.

After 3.4, I'd put Sabayon and PCLOS more or less on an equal footing, with PCLOS a little ahead.

Where's the difference? PCLOS was easier and less hassle to install and the PCLOS Control Centre is superb; Sabayon has nothing to match it.

But I am really very impressed with Sabayon.

timpalpant
Young Hen

Post by timpalpant » Fri Jul 27, 2007 23:45

E. Only if through entropy, the Sabayon project provides a reliable and worthy package management solution to replace portage, as well as a configuration module like YaST/PCLOS Control Center. But then, yes.

Thrice
Growing Hen

Post by Thrice » Sat Jul 28, 2007 0:24

Are you sure the pclos guys aren't stuffing the ballot? -_-

There's never anything about it in the news. If it's really that popular why isn't it on digg or anything? Who's using it?

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:03

timpalpant wrote:E. Only if through entropy, the Sabayon project provides a reliable and worthy package management solution to replace portage, as well as a configuration module like YaST/PCLOS Control Center. But then, yes.
nonsense

portage/emerge work just fine - one must learn it.

knowledge > *

timpalpant
Young Hen

Post by timpalpant » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:41

wolfden wrote:portage/emerge work just fine - one must learn it.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Emerge generally works just fine, but the gentoo portage database is pretty messed up and not even self-consistent. Packages quite often just won't compile. Dependencies and updates routinely screw each other up and overlays throw in a whole new mess. So even if you study the python code all day long, it just might _not_ work.

That's not to say portage is all bad; it's certainly better than RPMs. I just think it's going to take something very new and fresh and amazing to get Sabayon the attention to be #1, and it looks like that's the plan.

zouzou85
Growing Hen

Post by zouzou85 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:04

timpalpant wrote:
wolfden wrote:portage/emerge work just fine - one must learn it.
I don't think that's necessarily true. Emerge generally works just fine, but the gentoo portage database is pretty messed up and not even self-consistent. Packages quite often just won't compile. Dependencies and updates routinely screw each other up and overlays throw in a whole new mess. So even if you study the python code all day long, it just might _not_ work.

That's not to say portage is all bad; it's certainly better than RPMs. I just think it's going to take something very new and fresh and amazing to get Sabayon the attention to be #1, and it looks like that's the plan.
Interesting!! I don't have the kinds of problems you described at all. just minor things that are fixable.
but i do agree that the devs here should stick Innovation and making the distro reliable (it is reliable enough to me). And the most important thing is consistency because we certainly don't want Gentoo's problems here in this great distro.
Ignorance is not shameful. Arrogantly ignoring and denying your ignorance is.
All men are capable of learning, except two: The Arrogant and The Shy.