Kuroo problem

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

itstito
Baby Hen

Kuroo problem

Post by itstito » Sun Apr 08, 2007 18:42

well, kuroo is a file installer, right? whenever i queue a package and click on the check installation button, everything goes fine, but when i click on the start installation button, it proceeds and then stops midway, showing only 10% or so installed, after which i've to press the start install button again...but finally the thing doesn't get installed.

my questions:
1) where do the packages get installed? whats the path?
2) why is this problem occuring?

thanks in advance, guys. :)

davemc
Sharecropper

Post by davemc » Sun Apr 08, 2007 18:52

Use emerge. It works and its too simple. Read the Gentoo and Sabayon wiki on package management.

itstito
Baby Hen

Post by itstito » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:51

i've tried emerge....theres this problem i face:
whenever i download a .tar.gz package from the net, i use the terminal. this is what i do:

suppose the name of the package is snes9x.tar.gz
i type su
i enter the password
then i type emerge snes9x
what happens is, some code and all comes up which says i can't download from the tar package.

i guess you have to extract it someplace and then try? i've tried extracting it to my home folder, but still the same thing occurs. do you have to extract it some where else? i read somewhere it should be usr/local/src but i've tried that too....they say access denied to that folder. can you extract it there from source?

HELP! :(

Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Post by Appleman1234 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:05

You don't need to download the source. In order to emerge the package ensure it is in the portage tree by using a search tool like packages.gentoo.org or gentoo-portage.com or emerge -s packagename.

Please see Sabayon Package Management Guide on the Sabayon Wiki.

forest
Young Hen

Post by forest » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:05

In order to use emerge is better to have internet where you are using your computer, and get networking working on sabayon. Probably emerge wants to download the file and you cannot retrieve the file since you are not connected.

viking
Growing Hen

Post by viking » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:21

And if you don't like emerge, use Porthole - it works.