emerge --update --deep --newuse world

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

tchoklat
Simple Hen

Post by tchoklat » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:34

after a fresh install of 3.3 mini I entered this command into a terminal

the system wanted to update 499 packages. Is this normal? How many megs would this take as I have a download limit on my connection?

Is this the correct command to keep my system up to date? If I use Kuroo how do I do an update (I am a debian guy and am used to aptitude update and aptitude upgrade)

tchoklat

maumike
Simple Hen

Post by maumike » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:04

Adding a "-v" or "--verbose" will show you more information, including how much will be downloaded. World updates tend to cause some problems and are often not suggested. That being said, I will refer you to following post and suggest you read some portage documentation.

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... ble+update

Gil
Baby Hen

Post by Gil » Sun Apr 08, 2007 14:39

If you do have a limit in your connection I would not advise against a world update...since the download will be quite big (Many MBs...possibly approaching a GB or so). and of course theres the chance of breaking the system, unless one knows what it is doing(though the update process is far easier now than with previous versions of SL).

Anyway, SL is pretty bleeding edge, so most packages are up to date. But if you are like me, and like all this tinkering and compiling, then go for it and let us now how it went :)

forest
Young Hen

Post by forest » Sun Apr 08, 2007 15:01

More than the MB to download is the time it will take to compile all that stuff. you can use emerge with --fetchonly to download the MB and later do the same command without --fecthonly so it installs with no internet connection, and leave the computer compiling all night. If you computer does the job you want to get done you needn´t to update every single day. Just wait a month or so...