Gentoo project is a mess, time to move on?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon's future lies with:

> Gentoo, fear not, they will sort their problems out
58%
> SUSE, excellent technical foundations to migrate to
4%
> Ubuntu, excellent technical foundations to migrate to
9%
> Fedora, excellent technical foundations to migrate to
2%
> Other - time for Sabayon to forge a different path
27%

Total votes: 97

monday90
Simple Hen

Post by monday90 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 18:59

Not SuSE, please not SuSE :cry: . Portage is awesome, if Gentoo dies follow in its footsteps, you should inherit its user base. The system works, don't muck it up with .DEBS .RPMS or any other cack.

sixtyniner
Baby Hen

Post by sixtyniner » Wed Apr 25, 2007 23:43

Without thinking too much about the subject, I'd say either stick with portage or go with something promising like conary... i don't think that gentoo will completely "die," but it's definitely losing its relevance, which might actually be worse (burn out / fade away theories?).

As for other alternatives, 1) fedora becomes more unstable with every release. It's the only distro that still requires me to repair grub after installation. Also, I find yum to be a nightmare to use. 2) Ubuntu isn't bad (if my mother had any interest in linux, which she doesn't, I'd probably install that for her) but everybody is basing their distros on it these days, so that's just kind of boring. 3) As for SUSE, I've always found it to be really dumbed-down yet still a pain in the ass to use. And after all, Novell seems to be in bed with microsoft, which makes me somewhat unwilling to go near SUSE.

R3MF
Advanced Hen

Post by R3MF » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:42

i thought i would resurrect this topic in the light of:
http://planet.sabayonlinux.org/?p=59

Gentoo Foundation slides down the pan.

sefk
Baby Hen

Post by sefk » Thu Jul 19, 2007 14:59

First, the philosophy of gentoo: compile everything from source may be not the most popular one, however, it's still unique. So it wont die in a brief period(at least time needed for SL to be more mature).

The only possibility that I see with gentoo is having less support in the future, however it wont fail.

Secondly, in the eventuality that gentoo start to become too slow for the need or sabayon, in think that binary install like slackware or arch linux would be a good idea(pacman?).

ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

Post by ThinkBayon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 15:20

I've got one thing to say: Slack baby!

ThinkBayon
Simple Hen

Post by ThinkBayon » Thu Jul 19, 2007 15:27

Actually, I take that back. If Gentoo's base is abandoned, the easiest for us to adopt and use would be Arch. Many ex-Gentooers use Arch now, and it's highly customizable yet simple. ABS is supposed to be pretty decent as an automatic compiler, and is more than enough for the target Sabayon user. Their package base is large and expanding, and the distro is very stable, while still cutting-edge.

If Sabayon were to base itself on Arch, which is based on precompiled i686 packages, I think that the system would be very, very fast out of the box. There's very little politics in the Arch community too. I'm surprised that, to this point, no other major distros have emerged based on Arch. If I knew what I were doing, had the time, and had a real vision, I'd base a new distro on Arch.

DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Post by DontPanic » Fri Jul 20, 2007 22:44

Does anyone know what is going on with the project called Debtoo

http://sourceforge.net/projects/debtoo

This is their short description for their project:
DebToo - Debian powered from source. Portage-like configurability brought into Debian with the goodies known to Gentoo users: USE flags, optimised packages, hand picked patches, fine grained tweaking performance, inherted configurations.
I like the concept for the project, but it seems like it's been abandoned at or before the vaporware stage. The debtoo.org domain name is up for sale, so it sounds like a dead project.

dukdukgoos
Young Hen

Post by dukdukgoos » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:07

ThinkBayon wrote:Actually, I take that back. If Gentoo's base is abandoned, the easiest for us to adopt and use would be Arch. Many ex-Gentooers use Arch now, and it's highly customizable yet simple. ABS is supposed to be pretty decent as an automatic compiler, and is more than enough for the target Sabayon user. Their package base is large and expanding, and the distro is very stable, while still cutting-edge.

If Sabayon were to base itself on Arch, which is based on precompiled i686 packages, I think that the system would be very, very fast out of the box. There's very little politics in the Arch community too. I'm surprised that, to this point, no other major distros have emerged based on Arch. If I knew what I were doing, had the time, and had a real vision, I'd base a new distro on Arch.
I agree. Arch would be a good fit for the "Sabayon treatment", basically doing a prepared Arch install that's plug and play, optimized for 686 and AMD64. I'm actually surprised no one's done it yet...

st
Baby Hen

Post by st » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:59

Hi,

i'm not entirely sure which way it should head, but imho it defenitely should change, I really don't get Gentoo but I really like the look and feel of SL. I am really experienced with unix and linux and can compile anything i want to but come on and update that takes 5 hours for no performance gain whatsoever?

i really like my .deb's and so maybe debian etch would be a good base, VERY stable, good releases great community. On the other hand I have been trying arch the last year and I must admit that pacman is also an A+ package mangager and the have a great x86 and x64 version. pacman Never failed me once and ouch it is soooo fast, the distro as a whole. believe me once you pacman you never want to emerge again. I also really like the rolling-system concept, just install one snapshot and your set for life. I tried upgrade SL once from a new dvd with 6th sense and after 8 or so hours i got stuck with a big mess (and no don't tell me to reinstall with a seperate home partition is a valid upgrade option).

On the other hand if it needs stability maybe slackware 12 might be a good base, it is soo solid (but boring) and I am afraid that it is headed the same way as gentoo.

so i'd say DEBIAN or ARCH are the way to go!

st.

sefk
Baby Hen

Post by sefk » Sat Jul 21, 2007 14:35

Well I don't like the debian idea, simply because deb is now too popular. :P

And finally sabayon would become another ubuntu or linux mint.

Create a noob friendly distro based on binary package, that's new.