Gentoo project is a mess, time to move on?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon's future lies with:

> Gentoo, fear not, they will sort their problems out
58%
> SUSE, excellent technical foundations to migrate to
4%
> Ubuntu, excellent technical foundations to migrate to
9%
> Fedora, excellent technical foundations to migrate to
2%
> Other - time for Sabayon to forge a different path
27%

Total votes: 97

R3MF
Advanced Hen

Gentoo project is a mess, time to move on?

Post by R3MF » Mon Mar 12, 2007 13:10

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070312#future
............over the last few years Gentoo Linux has degenerated into a loose structure that is increasingly run by a small, power-hungry clique that resents any attempt to change the current status quo.

As such, Gentoo has become a distribution without any clear goals, without the drive to implement new ideas, and without the ability to deliver products that its users want. Quite a sharp contrast to a few years ago when one couldn't take part in an online distro discussion without somebody coming out with a strong recommendation for Gentoo!
time for a SUSE based Sabayon? :p

discuss

teo
Baby Hen

Re: Gentoo project is a mess, time to move on?

Post by teo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 14:07

R3MF wrote:http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070312#future
............over the last few years Gentoo Linux has degenerated into a loose structure that is increasingly run by a small, power-hungry clique that resents any attempt to change the current status quo.

As such, Gentoo has become a distribution without any clear goals, without the drive to implement new ideas, and without the ability to deliver products that its users want. Quite a sharp contrast to a few years ago when one couldn't take part in an online distro discussion without somebody coming out with a strong recommendation for Gentoo!
time for a SUSE based Sabayon? :p

discuss
We can't exactly know how bad things really are in the Gentoo project. I'd say stick with Gentoo while it lasts, and then fork it if we can. Otherwise SuSE, since Ubuntu sucks big time and the Fedora project has its own problems.

Andi80
Baby Hen

Post by Andi80 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 14:31

I've used Ubuntu for a while, but it does also have big problems. Strange network problems are just one thing. Ubuntu installations are time bombs, they're going to destroy themselve! At least with Edgy 6.10, and this is not just my experience!

I also had some experiences with Fedora Core 6, which was very stable but not too user-friendly! But a quite good software- und update support because of RedHat.

And finally, I don't like SUSE at all, they are livin' in their own world, not very "Linux-Like" anymore!

But, for now, let's hope that everything is going to be alright with Gentoo 8)

R3MF
Advanced Hen

Post by R3MF » Mon Mar 12, 2007 14:42

i agree about having to wait and see about what gentoo do to resolve their problems.

davemc
Sharecropper

Post by davemc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 15:00

Was just gona post about this, but you beat me to it. Now normally I love sit back and watch a good flame roast as it tends to bring out the very best in peoples oratorial skills 8) However, this one concerns us SL fanboys directly. It is not such a big issue though, because we maintain our own overlay, and SL users do not have to use Portage for more than syncing that. Of course we all love to emerge this or that or even update world, but this is not necessary for SL to run as installed. Thats one very big thing that seperates us from pure Gentoo, which is entirely dependent on Portage, even as they do installs. So, if Gentoo dies, SL is not going to die, however, well be in some small troubles if we dont fork to our own repo system at least as a backup. Our small, yet vibrant Dev team are the best of the best IMO, and the future of SL is secure!

daedius
Simple Hen

Post by daedius » Mon Mar 12, 2007 15:14

Steal the portage tree! Lets become what gentoo should be!

teo
Baby Hen

Post by teo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 15:20

daedius wrote:Steal the portage tree! Lets become what gentoo should be!
I guess we could do just that but we'd need a lot of servers, bandwidth and mantainers.

voxiac
Advanced Hen

Post by voxiac » Mon Mar 12, 2007 15:40

I personally like Sabayon only because it's actually based on Gentoo, but that's my own point of view. If it wasn't I'd rather stick with Ubuntu despite it's horrible apt-get thing and annoying release cycles(I know they do it because of better QA).
I hope that Gentoo mess will sort out somehow, but I don't know enough to state something. Gentoo was for me the introduction to the wonderfull world of Linux, so I guess I'm being a little bit sentimental about that distribution. ;)
From the other pragmatic point of view I think nothing can beat Gentoo in the number of the packages in the tree (and I know that many of them are not maintained quite well).
Can anyone tell me why I can't get 64bit wine in Ubuntu for example (even from the source, which failes to compile), which compiles without a hitch in Gentoo and hence Sabayon.
Besides, as the wiki states:
Sabayon Linux uses Gentoo Linux as its base. It is (and it will always be) 100% compatible with it.
Although I want to hear lxnay's opinion. He's "our farmer" after all.

daedius
Simple Hen

Post by daedius » Mon Mar 12, 2007 16:12

teo wrote:
daedius wrote:Steal the portage tree! Lets become what gentoo should be!
I guess we could do just that but we'd need a lot of servers, bandwidth and mantainers.
Oh <_< I forgot to mention too. Steal their funders! =) Hell, I'd be willing to PAY for access to the portage tree if Sabayon took it over. 15 /mo out of my own pocket to get access to it whilst gentoo dies. Sure =) Sign me up, Sabayon rules.

R3MF
Advanced Hen

Post by R3MF » Mon Mar 12, 2007 16:39

davemc wrote:Was just gona post about this, but you beat me to it. Now normally I love sit back and watch a good flame roast as it tends to bring out the very best in peoples oratorial skills 8) However, this one concerns us SL fanboys directly. It is not such a big issue though, because we maintain our own overlay, and SL users do not have to use Portage for more than syncing that. Of course we all love to emerge this or that or even update world, but this is not necessary for SL to run as installed. Thats one very big thing that seperates us from pure Gentoo, which is entirely dependent on Portage, even as they do installs. So, if Gentoo dies, SL is not going to die, however, well be in some small troubles if we dont fork to our own repo system at least as a backup. Our small, yet vibrant Dev team are the best of the best IMO, and the future of SL is secure!
forgive me, i don't know too much about gentoo so i may be getting the wrong end of the stick.

but my fear is not that there will be a fracture in the community preventing builds, rather that this divisive and directionless chaos will cause gentoo to loose focus and stop being innovative and cutting edge.

in short; gentoo would become just another distro, except that it has a different build system, but a poorly maintained one because the project has no leadership and no goals.

whatever else may be said about suse, fedora, and ubuntu; they have good leadership, clear direction, innovative thinking, and strong community support.

but maybe my understanding of the nature of gentoo's problem is wrong........?