nice dvd we need normal cd with reduced programs

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

KCKitsune
Baby Hen

Post by KCKitsune » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:24

Is there a simple way to remove all the applications? If there is then could you please direct me to the instuctions.

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Sun Apr 30, 2006 13:35

KCKitsune wrote:Is there a simple way to remove all the applications? If there is then could you please direct me to the instuctions.
just use Portage (Kuroo is its GUI).

KCKitsune
Baby Hen

Post by KCKitsune » Sun Apr 30, 2006 17:17

lxnay wrote: just use Portage (Kuroo is its GUI).
I tried that, but I must have removed something that I should not have because I made it so that KDE would not run. What I was wanting to know is if there was a easy to use script so do I have to remove each application manually.

mii
Simple Hen

Post by mii » Sun May 07, 2006 1:44

lxnay wrote:CDs are ~25 years old :)
Let's leave the past to others... ;)
Heeh..how 'bout memorystick version? Life without harddrive noise, can you imagine that? :)

I think CD still is a good media. It's practical, thanks to the fact everyone has, if not dvd-drive, at least cd-drive. Drives are cheap, media itself is even cheaper so why not? Creating a LE or LITE version of the OS is not bad idea, considering the amount of people it would bring to try the OS. Not everyone has dvd-drive (especially third world and other parts of the world western society is raping), harddisk space or even bandwidth to download whole dvd. Of course, if you think about it that way, maybe it's better to let people who are considered about these things create their own linuxbased distro and..

..well, you get the point.

RR4&RR64 are what they are, thanks to lxnay and his decicion to implement features/software to the format, he finds reasonable. If he ever finds using CD format reasonable, so be it and there shall be cd version, but untill then, I'm going to say: it's not a pillow, if you take the feathers out of it. If you need smaller distro, there is a sea of distros out there..try and download one that you find suitable for your needs, instead of asking a man to drive himself nuts trying to create and support a third RR. RR4&RR64 are very good at what they represent and in my opinion, cd version could only be worse and limited compared to it's big brother. Though, industry is doing it all the time (selling stuff that only works partially, labeling it, for example x800GT), I find it very reasonable to give people what they deserve, which in this case is full RR4 or RR64 experience.
Tux Klux Klan.

HXC
Simple Hen

Post by HXC » Sun May 07, 2006 16:46

I think a cd version would be an excellent idea. Furthermore I think it would be an improvement if rr4 would be based on the stable (x86) branch instad of the unstable (~x86) branch.
Last edited by HXC on Tue May 09, 2006 0:05, edited 1 time in total.

cvill64
Sagely Hen

Post by cvill64 » Sun May 07, 2006 19:24

@HLX

You can easily change your RR/6/4 installation into a x86 or x86_64 stable branch. Just change the keywords accepted from ~x86 to x86, and re-emerge the packages that you want downgraded, config files, etc. A lot of the stuff on RR/6/4 wouldn't be possible without it being based on the unstable branch, _especially_ on the RR64 dvd, where this is nowhere near as much support....yet. So its really up to the person that installs RR/6/4 how they want to go with it. And think, if it wasn't based on unstable, we wouldn't have awesome XGL eye candy! :lol:

@mii

You betcha! I can't wait for solid state flash cards as HDDs instead of old rpm based ones... nice, cool, and quiet :) But that still is a long ways off, but I do know that DSL (and all others based off of it) will fit on and run off of a single memory stick.

HXC
Simple Hen

Post by HXC » Tue May 09, 2006 0:28

cvill64 wrote:@HLX

You can easily change your RR/6/4 installation into a x86 or x86_64 stable branch. Just change the keywords accepted from ~x86 to x86, and re-emerge the packages that you want downgraded, config files, etc. A lot of the stuff on RR/6/4 wouldn't be possible without it being based on the unstable branch, _especially_ on the RR64 dvd, where this is nowhere near as much support....yet. So its really up to the person that installs RR/6/4 how they want to go with it. And think, if it wasn't based on unstable, we wouldn't have awesome XGL eye candy! :lol:
You are right about the x64 version (changed my post accordingly :wink:) However I think it would be a big improvement to base the RR4 series at the stable Gentoo branch. Gentoo stable is very much up to date and like the name implies 'stable' meaning you can "emerge -uD world" (one of gentoo's main features) without having to worry if your system might break.

Off course it is possible to change the keywords from ~x86 to x86. However to be really effective you need to update you entire system which is a cumbersome affair. And if you don't update your system correctly you risk hosing your entire installation. For those who are wondering what is the correct way to recompile your entire system:

Code: Select all

emerge -e system && emerge -e system && emerge -e world && emerge -e world
To make matters worse there is currently a bug in portage causing the first command (emerge -e system) to loop endlessly. More info about this bug and a solution can be found here => http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-45 ... ight-.html

Anothere faster way to correctly update your system can be found here: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Al in all I think an RR4 (cd) distribution based on the stable branch would be huge improvement especially for people new to (gentoo) Linux.

cvill64
Sagely Hen

Post by cvill64 » Tue May 09, 2006 1:29

lol, you make some very good points HXC :) Glad you made the change.

But problem is...there already is a stable out there...its called 2006.1 :-P :lol:

Also, I can't think of a single OS that doesn't have some detremental bug at some point of time in its life's cycle, so I'm sure it will get fixed soon enough. As for updating the entire system, when it gets fixed, just leave the computer to chug along overnight :). And two points that I think I'd make are these: 1. For newer people to linux, this is the easiest way to have the really awesome stuff right at your fingertips w/o having to get your fingers bloody trying for hours to get something to work (or do a grub install for the first time :-P) 2. We shall see what Lxnay decides to do :)

All in all, I think the unstable branch gives greater flexibility and greater learning opportunties. I am no where near an expert at Gentoo, nor linux for that matter yet, but this is giving me a great chance to work on those skills and understand the OS better ... I'm all too accustomed to reading tutorials and manuals :roll: especially when I do really stupid stuff :oops:

Although I do long for the day when Linux will indeed be a 5 clicks away install w/o having to do anything and automatically customized for you :wink:
Oh well, we shall see what happens, thanks for the bug post too, good reads.