nice dvd we need normal cd with reduced programs

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

mamado_ehab
Baby Hen

nice dvd we need normal cd with reduced programs

Post by mamado_ehab » Fri Nov 04, 2005 20:05

at first I like to apreciate the good
work and the hard efforts that leads to
ease the use of gentoo
that was a dream before that came true
with rr4
most users still have normal cdroms
and can not use the dvd
so if possible
we need one with fewer programs
just the most usefull programs
this will make it more easy for most of linux users , that will be apreciated step
thanks alot :oops:
yours ehab

Alga
Baby Hen

Post by Alga » Fri Nov 04, 2005 21:09

I support the demand ... a cd will be more usefull :wink:

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Fri Nov 04, 2005 23:32

Don't worry... I'm working forward to it... I only have to see if the people that has already a CD version wants to use my branding structure :)

slash
Young Hen

Post by slash » Fri Nov 04, 2005 23:52

Alga wrote:I support the demand ... a cd will be more usefull :wink:
There is also a Gentoo-based distro named Kororaa
That's is a cd-rom version.
Just google and you find it.

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Fri Nov 04, 2005 23:55

Or CONRAD (I hope to write it correctly) that could became an official lxnay dEsigN project ;)

benkong2
Baby Hen

CD would certainly help me now

Post by benkong2 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 21:42

I want to use Lxnay so bad... It will boot and run on my AMD64 machine but I have a Toshiba Satellite P111 with a DVD/CD-RW and it will not boot from the drive. Wish there was a CD version I would love to install and test it looks great.

Wish I could do a network install or something like that.
Anyway I think the product is great I'll wait for the CD version.

Hutchy
Simple Hen

Post by Hutchy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:08

I disagree , The thing that got me interested in RR4 was everything about it , The software chosen was not only perfect for my Media setup, but it is the only Gentoo distro that installs Video Driver during install(4me Nvidia) .also has most drivers etc 4 almost every piece of hardware a person could have on their PC.
The way I see it is ,if you want a live CD then you want to use one that gives a person a choice on what Software they want to use & this DVD gives a person that choice ,
If you were to use the Ubuntu live cd 4 example you would find theres hardly any software to choose ,like you might be able to use Totem but cant use Kaffeine because its not there & totem is very limited compared to Kaffeine.But you could use Totem 4 other occasions if there was a choice.
Also if a person wants to install RR4 then they would find its alot easier & quicker to uninstall any Software they might not need or want than it is to "emerge" software.
Like it might take literary Hours to install "open office" but seconds to uninstall if its not suited.
AnyWay back to the point of Having RR4 on a DVD rather Than a CD , There are a other Gentoo Distros out there on CD already like "Vlos,Navyn & others" people can use , But we dont have a DVD version that has Variety like RR4.
My choice would be to keep RR4 on DVD ,DVD burners are incredibly cheap these days I found.

My Whole Point is, if this was just a install to hardware DVD then I might agree , but this is a LiveDVD, & with a LiveCD or DVD you would want Choice.
- Also the reason there are so many Linux Distros out now is so people have a choice of choosing which distro suits their needs.

OH' , unless developers are willing to work on both a "cd and dvd version"

KCKitsune
Baby Hen

RE: CD-ROM version

Post by KCKitsune » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:12

I would also love a CD version as the DVD version has just too many applications. lxnay, if you make a CD version, please make part of the installation script an option to not install any applications other than the desktop. It would make recompliling a lot easier.

jhawk
Simple Hen

DVD should remain

Post by jhawk » Fri Apr 28, 2006 19:24

A Live DVD with install was good option at concept and remains a good concept. Providing the end user with an option to run the GUI of his/her liking. Please keep the RR64 DVD.

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Fri Apr 28, 2006 23:34

CDs are ~25 years old :)
Let's leave the past to others... ;)