gentoo smack talkers

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Subterraneus
Young Hen

Post by Subterraneus » Sun Feb 25, 2007 23:55

Sabayon is nice, it's no gentoo. Ubuntu is nice, it's no Debian. Who cares? They can hate on Sabayon all they want, and they may be right or wrong, but this distro's still going strong, so whatever.

Though, I must say, Sabayon has not been an "it just works" experience, and I am in some ways inclined to agree with some of the smack talkers.

Rayster
Baby Hen

Man o Man

Post by Rayster » Mon Feb 26, 2007 0:13

Having been a long time Gentoo user, and having recently decided to try out Sabayon, I just want to say I hope that everyone can just get along. Seems like, after having read the gentoo thread, that the bad-blood is, at least partially, based on the fact that someone decided to be deceitful and lie.

Looks like one bad apple spread some serious hate and discontent. Ignore it.

Having been a reader of both disro's forums, and having asked questions myself on SL IRC channel, you guys are helpful. So are Gentoo forum users. I have never seen one case where I needed help from either camp, and been refused.

Just my 2¢ worth. :P

frogimus
Growing Hen

Post by frogimus » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:10

out of curiosity...

...where were we told to go to the Gentoo forum and lie about using Sabayon? Is there a thread in here that could even slightly be misconstrued (hey Maw, I used a $2 word :) ) as advice from a dev to lie about this?

I know of plenty of threads where we've been referred to the Gentoo WIKI or handbook (but not the forum, IIRC). But never have I seen some1 tell any1 to lie about our distro.

If the thread exists, something should be done about it?

davemc
Sharecropper

Just sad..

Post by davemc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:29

Like I said, I believe this is a fabrication designed to stir up a flame war. It becomes more and more obvious throughout the thread that jealousy is rampant amongst the Gentoo Devs for what lxnay has created here. Gentoo is not doing well these days and I guess its easy to lash out at those more talented or who possess greater vision and drive. Do not take that thread to heart lxnay; instead, view it for what it really is - a concrete testament to your success with this distro!

Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Darksurf » Tue Feb 27, 2007 20:50

Geez, what a flame war.... I tried to even register to add my 2 cents worth and they emailed me a form asking for my parents signature?? I'm 20 years old... I don't need my parents signature and I clicked the stupid link that said I was older than 13. How stupid. Gentoo can't even work there damn forums correctly.

That is the reason I came to Sabayon. I was an ole' slackware user and went looking through distro after distro and wanted to try gentoo, but all it did was piss me off from the beginning. Stupid installer didn't work. I didn't boot on all my machines, I hate gnome, and nothing worked!! Gentoo sucked!

Then I found Sabayon by luck just roaming around the net and BAM here I am today thanking God I didn't get caught up in such a crappy, uncaring, flaming, inconsiderate, and hateful society!! The Sabayon Society has no problems with giving help.

We give it to who needs it and even if they are gentoo users we don't knock them. Lxnay is far better and a bigger man than any of the gentoo-admin/devs !! They were flaming and Lxnay didn't flame back he just represented Sabayon and the defense.

Thanx Lxnay! You are one hell of a role model! We all look up to you! :wink:

chickpea
Sagely Hen

Post by chickpea » Tue Feb 27, 2007 22:59

Just post my .0002 (not worth the extra change) on the gentoo forum... maybe I shouldn't have gotten involved, but it seemed like they were really picking on lxnay and calling him names. I just won't stand for it. This has become one of the top distros in no time flat because of lxnay's vision and incredible work. That has probably rubbed some folks over on the gentoo side of the fence the wrong way. All of the posts were along the lines of "Sabayon is JUST an overlay", its really just amatuer overlay work like any basement hack who hooks together random packages.

Take heart Lxnay!! We love ya no matter what they say! :D Also, I am sure that a lot of those folks had emerged the sab overlay in the dead of night to get ahold of our fancy desktop-acceration managers! :P

Most of the folks over there seemed to think that we didn't have our own support forums or wiki. Oh well from my SAT days gentoo:sabayon::debian:Ubuntu. 8) Although we are probably a LOT more like Gentoo than Ubuntu is like Debian. Sounds like it was not an amicable divorce with the devs over there in Gentoo land eh lxnay? :lol: Oh well we hens are reaping the rewards.

totedati
Technological Hen

Post by totedati » Mon May 14, 2007 4:56

i'm sorry to not see this thread and start another with same subject
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... 1609#41609
.... now is locked by wolfden cybercop ... thanks you ... i need it ...

but i did a search for "forum.gentoo.org" in the search ... and not see any thread with that subject ... now can do a little more variation and improve my skills to spot this type of thing more quick ... how you do it so quick wolfden !? :oops:
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon May 14, 2007 5:16

:lol:

Well when you been here and read almost every thread it's easy for some threads. Your thread was easy as it was popular as you can see by the posts here. I even remembered who started the thread :P

I have to laugh at the gentoo thread and one of the developers in it, claiming gentoo is not gentoo if it uses an overlay, well funny thing is, in a newsletter not long ago Gentoo announced their java overlay. It's a dumb argument. Issues from the SL overlay should not be over at the gentoo forum or bugzilla, but as far as the rest, it all applies the same.

totedati
Technological Hen

Post by totedati » Mon May 14, 2007 5:28

yeah i see how heated thing can be here in gentoo ... maybe time constraints is too hard and as time go and gentoo developers age is tumbling up, post is more and more rude ... i do not know .... i see no more hapiness in gentoo forums .... is like gentoo suport, and gentoo forum answers, is a boring job duty not a mater of 'giving culture' ....

if this is true this my first try to post a gentoo enhancement suggestion is wrong!?
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177220
Is my first try to do a linux bug report in all my linux experience .... and the threat of the subject from gentoo dev is amazing .... if my bug report was wrong ... should post this type of problem first to sabayon linux bug system !? It is a pure gentoo problem ... easy to solve it with a little dedication ... I do not know ...
linux is free, the expertise to harness it is not!
you don't make so much money selling open source software!
You make MORE money USING it, just like google!
linux registered user #352479

voxiac
Advanced Hen

Post by voxiac » Mon May 14, 2007 17:45

totedati wrote:if this is true this my first try to post a gentoo enhancement suggestion is wrong!?
http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177220
Is my first try to do a linux bug report in all my linux experience .... and the threat of the subject from gentoo dev is amazing .... if my bug report was wrong ... should post this type of problem first to sabayon linux bug system !? It is a pure gentoo problem ... easy to solve it with a little dedication ... I do not know ...
Jacub Moc is a very cool guy indeed ;) He's Gentoo's first line of defence so don't take it too closely...
AFAIU bugzilla your last comment will be lost since it was submitted after the bug was closed, so no one will get an email notification and hence no one will read it...
From the other side I don't know whether it was right to close a bug completely like he did (so it can't be reopened again)... So ultimately you'll have to make a new one to get your suggestion through...