gentoo smack talkers

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

mrscotty99
Baby Hen

gentoo smack talkers

Post by mrscotty99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:48

some smack talk, about sabayon users and my defence seemed to be ignored..lol

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-5 ... ght-.html
scotty

frogimus
Growing Hen

Post by frogimus » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:52

:cry:
Momma Gentoo donna love us no more
:cry:

/me yawns

Think they're jealous cause lxnay took something they've been struggling with for years and turned it into a mainstream distro?

mrscotty99
Baby Hen

Post by mrscotty99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:06

i just gave them a slightly buzzed (alcohol) opinion. i hope SL users either agree or at least not mad for defending SL users asking gentoo questions..

scotty

mrscotty99
Baby Hen

Post by mrscotty99 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:47

again here at SL,

it might not be my place to but i would apologize for someone at sabayon for using/saing that. because i feel that one or a few bad apples should not spiol the bunch..

scotty

eduardhc
Technological Hen

Post by eduardhc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 13:38

Maybe some people don't like how DW's statistics look lately...

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

Cheers,
Eduard
"Life is an eternal compilation"
(anonymous Gentoo user)

davemc
Sharecropper

Lets set things strait

Post by davemc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 19:31

First off, posting bugs to the Gentoo Bugzilla should never happen and no Sabayon user should do this... Duh! Sabayon has its own Bugzilla. Its understandable to me that Gentoo devs should feel the way they do about this.

Second, this claim of someone lying to receive gentoo support is unfounded and I don't believe it. For one, who would be dumb enough to do something like this...It just doesn't make any sense. Its like going to the Debian IRC to get help using Ubuntu, which you could do, but you'll get instantly flamed into the dirt for doing it, and enough things are different that they could not help you anyway -- same with Sabayon. I liken Sabayon to the Cadillac and Gentoo the Toyota hoopty mobile. :lol: :lol: Close, but not really.

I didn't really view that thread as a "Gentoo vs. Sabayon" thread, but more of a "lets set the record strait" thread. Sabayon is NOT Gentoo in the pure sense.

Tautrimas
Growing Hen

Post by Tautrimas » Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:06

1. Gentoo users might be jelous because Sabayon users get more easier tu use/install distro. That's why they are so mad at a latter one users.
2. Sabayon is actually a brand new distro derived from Gentoo sources. Everything is legal (its GPL, isn't it?) – Sabayon can exist, but Gentoo users and devs have full right to ignore help requests form Sabayon uses. Why? Because technically Sabayon is NOT Gentoo no matter how much it is compatible with the latter. And if it is stated somewhere that only Gentoo is supported in forums/bugzilla this means that it's practilally illegal to try to get help if you use Sabayon.

EmpJohnIV
Young Hen

Post by EmpJohnIV » Sun Feb 25, 2007 21:30

Remember Gentoo is a meta distro, every gentoo install is very different. A system running sabayon is barely more different from a system running gentoo then another system running gentoo with a custom overlay.

Tautrimas
Growing Hen

Post by Tautrimas » Sun Feb 25, 2007 21:34

Then lxnay should't call it Sabayon, because it is Gentoo anyway. But he does and this states that it is not Gentoo. This shouldn't be discussed, because I just want to show the view from a different angle.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sun Feb 25, 2007 22:36

Wow read the whole thread, nightmorph the developer really has some issues going on.

Amazing, but no surprise to me after being in the Gentoo community for several years. It's probably one of the hardest communities to get along and hates everybody. It's not going to change and if people are gonna be using SL, than they should be seeking help within the SL community. We tell people all the time to use the Gentoo wikis, handbook and forum to use as resources. We see people installing a min. gentoo install and than using the SL overlay, so what does that tell ya? SL loves gentoo.

That whole thread turned into nothing but hate and a lot of stupid illogical comments.