Hello Sabayon, goodbye Kubuntu

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Eagle
Baby Hen

Hello Sabayon, goodbye Kubuntu

Post by Eagle » Thu Feb 08, 2007 20:47

I have been running Kubuntu for more than a year, and today I read that Canonical Ltd has signed a deal with Linspire. While I think Kubuntu is a good distribution, I cannot tolerate being considered one of the "Dummies" that are smart enough to switch to Linux, but at the same time are just switching from one company that hides the details of what it does to another one. Well, not totally because much of what they do is FOSS, but CNR? No thanks.

Therefore, I have taken the decision to join this community and ride the bleeding edge. I've been reading this forum for a while, and Sabayon has impressed me as having the easy of configuration for the new user, yet the power for a user who wants to have control over their computer.

I pity the folks who don't realize what is happening with the newbie distros. I've seen enough information here to know that Sabayon = helpful community for newbies with the power and control of Gentoo.

You guys have done an amazing job. I have seen the light, and it's bright orange.

dave_p_b
Old Dear Hen

Post by dave_p_b » Thu Feb 08, 2007 21:43

Hi Eagle and welcome :)

I made the move from a Ubuntu type distro to SabayonLinux as it runs on my AMD64 perfect. Hope you have as much luck and help that I've had.

All the best

Dave

igknighted
Simple Hen

Post by igknighted » Thu Feb 08, 2007 22:09

I couldn't agree with you more about the *buntu tribe. Linspire is the last linux company I would want to be associated with... not only do their distro's suck but they have sold out on linux several times (including a buyout to get out of the SCO lawsuit). At least Novell has put some great stuff out there for linux.

ed
Simple Hen

Post by ed » Thu Feb 08, 2007 22:40

Welcome aboard, hope you find Sabayon as fun, beautiful, stable, easy and powerful as the rest of us do.

I once handed out some Ubuntu CD's where I worked and only now wish that Sabayon had been around at the time.

One of the things I least like about Ubuntu is the separate versions. Why bother having separate distros for all the DE's when they're all from the same repository? In my view it's just trying to flood the Internet with distros and hope that some people will fall for each one. Kubuntu was kept as a poor relation for some time. I can't understand why, because if they were intending to target new users on home machines, KDE is the obvious choice. They also ruined XFCE in Xubuntu by basically making it a Gnome lookalike, something it is not.

Ubuntu Christian Edition is the one that bugs me the most though. They took Ubuntu, changed some branding, added programs for bible bashers, locked down Firefox to stop people from viewing unholy sites (I wonder if it blocks anything to do with contraception? Or the theory of evolution?) and gave it a website. Now it's around number 20 on DW. How many people who actually take interest in it have actually thought of just installing those applications on another distro?

vanderliviu
Baby Hen

Post by vanderliviu » Wed Feb 21, 2007 15:12

ed wrote:Ubuntu Christian Edition is the one that bugs me the most though. They took Ubuntu, changed some branding, added programs for bible bashers, locked down Firefox to stop people from viewing unholy sites (I wonder if it blocks anything to do with contraception? Or the theory of evolution?) and gave it a website. Now it's around number 20 on DW. How many people who actually take interest in it have actually thought of just installing those applications on another distro?
Excellent, I could not agree more with you, ed! Ubuntu Christian Edition does not make any sense - it is absolutely ridiculous to add some bible study tools and make a new distro! Makes me wonder about many things...

chickpea
Sagely Hen

Welcome

Post by chickpea » Wed Feb 21, 2007 16:37

Welcome aboard! Hope your experience with SabayonLinux is as positive as mine has been.

Ubuntu Christian also gives me the creeps. It seems like the direct antithesis of what linux is about: openness and choice. It makes no sense as well why we need to create a separate "distro" for a Ubuntu with some "Christian" shackles painted on. But, we digress.

SabayonLinux whooo hoooo!

voxiac
Advanced Hen

Post by voxiac » Thu Feb 22, 2007 20:05

A little off topic, but when I still ran Ubuntu, I was seriously considering Ubuntu Satanic Edition just to be nasty ;)

Mike
Young Hen

Post by Mike » Thu Feb 22, 2007 23:01

Why is Click'N'Run so bad? It seem like an okay service to me.

RaNDyMyZe
Baby Hen

Post by RaNDyMyZe » Thu Feb 22, 2007 23:17

Mike wrote:Why is Click'N'Run so bad? It seem like an okay service to me.
I don't think CNR itself is so bad. It could be especially good for businesses and institutions. I know it might solve some problems here at work for me.

On the other hand there is some discomfort associated with it.

1. Linspire is kind of a weird flakey distro (that's just my opinion). Honestly, for me, if I had to choose between using XP and Linspire I would just use XP. I've never felt comfortable with them. I feel like they change their mind and vision a lot about what they are and what they promote. I also think they are mostly a marketing machine. I don't think making money is a bad thing or that selling Linux or Linux services is even bad. I also don't think they give much of worth back to the community though. Red Hat, for example, sells Linux and Linux services, but they also contribute a lot into software development. Novell is criticized for their partnership with Microsoft has given 1000% more back to the community in comparison with Linspire.

2. There is a beef with a lot of very devoted GNU and FSF people that aren't excited about proprietary, commercial software in a FOSS environment.

3. There is a really uncomfortable feeling some people get handing over package management to a commercial third party utility. While the code is open source and there is supposed to be a section of free software it definately has ties to commercial software sales. I know I'm not yet very comfortable handing over package management or letting CNR interfere with or get mixed up in portage or apt.

The last point is my personal beef with the idea. I like that it could strengthen installing Linux boxes here at work for public use. I use Kubuntu here at work and Sabayon at home. Package management can be fragile enough with good practices and I don't trust CNR not to break things.

Mike
Young Hen

Post by Mike » Thu Feb 22, 2007 23:36

RaNDyMyZe wrote: 3. There is a really uncomfortable feeling some people get handing over package management to a commercial third party utility. While the code is open source and there is supposed to be a section of free software it definately has ties to commercial software sales. I know I'm not yet very comfortable handing over package management or letting CNR interfere with or get mixed up in portage or apt.

The last point is my personal beef with the idea. I like that it could strengthen installing Linux boxes here at work for public use. I use Kubuntu here at work and Sabayon at home. Package management can be fragile enough with good practices and I don't trust CNR not to break things.
You write as though package management is a complicated task, I guess it is if your threaten by multistep tasks but it is not something super hard to code.