Where to downoad (No torrent, need FTP)

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

viking
Growing Hen

Post by viking » Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:04

Although I am really getting to like Sabayon, the problem you have raised here FrozenSteel is its biggest drawback by light years.

When I first attempted to get Sab 3.2 it took me 55 hours online. The first download (from an http site ) was corrupt, my second attempt, a torrent, promised to take 6.5 days to complete!!!! I finally went to madtux and paid my $1.98 and got a workable iso.

When I upgraded to 3.26 I went straight to madtux and the download took 32 hours although it was successful first time.

I am situated in the UK and I know the madtux servers are on the US west coast so maybe that is why it takes so long. It is nothing to do with my ISP btw, on any sensible server I get up 360KB/sec download speed and never less than 240KB/sec.

Sorry to say it but the torrent option is a waste of time, it doesn't matter if you have the best distro on the planet, nobody is going to wait 6.5 days to download it.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:11

wow you guys must not of been part of the dial up days

It took 6 days just to download a high res photo :lol:

I have no problem downloading something that takes 6 days. What is all the rush? It's not really that long. It just takes patience.

Hopefully in the near future we can offer better mirrors. 3.3 sounds like it will be so just hang in there, it takes time to get famous. :wink:

Lasse
Simple Hen

Post by Lasse » Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:21

Well, I downloaded the iso from a torrent, took me like 4-5 hours.. Kept the iso alive at my machine for a ratio of 4 before I removed it. If it is that much troubles with the iso's, maybe I should bring it back alive on my machine again...

From Linuxtracker, SabayonLinux 3.26, one can see almost 40% seeders, should not be any problems downloading...

viking
Growing Hen

Post by viking » Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:22

wolfden wrote:wow you guys must not of been part of the dial up days

It took 6 days just to download a high res photo :lol:

I have no problem downloading something that takes 6 days. What is all the rush? It's not really that long. It just takes patience.

Hopefully in the near future we can offer better mirrors. 3.3 sounds like it will be so just hang in there, it takes time to get famous. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No way Wolfden, I have had my share of the 'screeching modem' days, but that doesn't mean I long to go back to them!!

I wouldn't wait 6 days to download anything no matter how good (and Sab is seriously good) I am sure most others would feel the same.

Anyway some West European mirrors would be seriously appreciated by me at least :D

viking
Growing Hen

Post by viking » Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:59

Lasse wrote:Well, I downloaded the iso from a torrent, took me like 4-5 hours.. Kept the iso alive at my machine for a ratio of 4 before I removed it. If it is that much troubles with the iso's, maybe I should bring it back alive on my machine again...

From Linuxtracker, SabayonLinux 3.26, one can see almost 40% seeders, should not be any problems downloading...
Hi Lasse, and congratulations, firstly on getting a Sab download to complete in under a day, and secondly on the quality of your written English (I am assuming you are Norwegian if you live there? - may not be so of course).

The torrent I was referring to was to download 3.2 and that was some time ago, maybe 3.26 would have been better, I was so disgusted with the 3.2 attempt that I didn't even bother trying with 3.26.

PS. And I apologise in advance for going totally off topic, but some years ago,I had a 2 week holiday in Mundal, if you are Norwegian you may know it. We had a great time and were most impressed by the hospitality of the Norwegian people ( and their ability to speak English!!)

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Sat Jan 20, 2007 19:06

well with the 3.26 all you needed was to keep your 3.25 iso and grab the xdeltas and in like 20 minutes your had 3.26, but if you didn't have 3.25, augh

I usually can download the torrents in like 4 hours. I had the 3.25 iso and patched them and just immediately started seeding. Seeders are always a plus.

Lasse
Simple Hen

Post by Lasse » Sat Jan 20, 2007 20:01

viking wrote: Hi Lasse, and congratulations, firstly on getting a Sab download to complete in under a day, and secondly on the quality of your written English (I am assuming you are Norwegian if you live there? - may not be so of course).

The torrent I was referring to was to download 3.2 and that was some time ago, maybe 3.26 would have been better, I was so disgusted with the 3.2 attempt that I didn't even bother trying with 3.26.

PS. And I apologise in advance for going totally off topic, but some years ago,I had a 2 week holiday in Mundal, if you are Norwegian you may know it. We had a great time and were most impressed by the hospitality of the Norwegian people ( and their ability to speak English!!)
Hello viking,

I am as Norwegian as there is possible to be.. ;) And actually, I have the major parts of my family living just north of Mundal (Stryn and Olden).

Since I had a Debian based distro installed on this laptop, I had to download the complete DVD image (3.26), and it went as smooth as I wanted it to go. As long as people keep the torrent alive for some time after they have downloaded it, everyone else will benefit from it (I always keep the torrent alive until I have reached a ratio of >3).

Will do some research regarding the possibility for a Norwegian mirror.

viking
Growing Hen

Post by viking » Sun Jan 21, 2007 17:11

I am as Norwegian as there is possible to be.. Wink And actually, I have the major parts of my family living just north of Mundal (Stryn and Olden).
Great - lovely place!!

Shame about the price of beer though :shock: :shock:

livejamie
Young Hen

Post by livejamie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 19:16

that mirrors page should be on the main page.
:)